Storm door problem.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jben04564

We have a 2005 Clayton homes single wide mobile home, recently i have noticed that our storm door is wearing away at the hinges. Now ,short of having to go off and buy a complete combination door , is there a way of being able to fix this.
I did notice that there is a long pin that does go all the way through the hinges, not sure if i can remove it and add a washer or somthing,,Ive added a few snaps, hope it helps,my descriptions can be a bit challenging at times lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HouseMedic

Is that a standard door? The hinge looks just like the ones on Emco doors and if so you should be able to change the full hing. Look for screws going down the edge of the door.

Ron
jben04564

Nope, dont think its a standard door.
as you can see from the picture,, the hinge can be removed from the actual storm door,, but i need to remove the bits that would still be attached to the door frame (because the bottoms have worn away) .
Unless there is replacement hinges and the long pin that it needs..
I cant find any info on the manufacturer, but on the actual glass of the screen door there is a info stamp showing " Guardian ,,Richmond SC "
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1987Commodore

jben04564

Aww superb... thanks for the link...
Now this long pin should be able to just slide out?
1987Commodore

I've never done it, but they say it is tack welded on the ends, so would need to cut the weld, and resecure when done.
jben04564

Just before i ordered the hinges i just double checked to see if id have a problem removing the long pin.
Pretty easy actually,, granted i need to remove 2 of out porch floor boards to get under the pin, but after that,its just a case of slowly pulling the pin down till its out.. i didn't see anywhere it was wielded.