roof advice

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mrbb

OK looking for some advice and suggestions/opinions
I have an older mobile home I use for a hunting camp
the roof is of the old style, where it has a rise about mid section and then drops back down
it has has 3 porches added to it, one at each end on the back side and one in the middle in the front

the roof currently does NOT leak, but its been coated every couple yrs with the aluminum fiber coating stuff, till 20014 when it was coated with a SO called longer lasting coating that was supposed to last many yrs
the roof also has several sections where water ponds

I want to do something more reliable and longer lasting

but due to the almost flat and well below flat in spots, I don't want to do more roof coatings

I had a roofer come over and he told me the answer is a rubber roof, one of the one piece deal, and to also coat the porches with same material
telling me its warranty is 45 yrs??
wanted 6500 to do this

second roofer came over and said I should have a roof built over the existing one?
using metal roofing material(still waiting on a price)

SO< anyone have any suggestions on whats the better option, does the rubber roof really last that long and be problem free??

what are the CON"S of building a roof over the top of the OEM roof??
any advice will be appreciated

here are some pic's of the roof too, if that helps anyone make a suggestion
yakima4$

EPDM or TPO rubber roof way to go.
Google on line.
Ask the roofer who recommended the rubber roof for a cut sheet on the material and Google it.\
Also ask where or job sites he has installed at so you can see the end results.
Make sure he uses a termination bar around the perimeter--keeps wind from getting under it.
Have looked at the two above products for close to thirty years and have never heard anything bad from the comusmer nor the contractors.
Greg

Given the quote vs the use check this
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article7.php

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mrbb

thanks guys
I think I am going with the rubber roof deal, had 2 roofers here all says thats the way to go and one guy that wanted to build a roof over top of my whole place??

however only one guy has given me a price, , other two said they need a few days>??

as for the do it yourself deal
if my roof wasn't so odd shaped, as in its is NOT rounded , its got 3 different heights, not all one level, and then its dented all over on the top with standing water and dips and such
it DOESN"T leak now, so I am a little turned off on drilling holes into it, with all the dents and dips,, so I don
t see it being as easy a deal , NOW if it was a all one level deal or a more stout roof, I
d do that, I think?

but for now, waiting on prices between the rubber roofers and will see what the difference is in the rubber there using??

thanks for the info, and appreciate it! and any more suggestions too!
Greg

The other simple solution would be to build a free standing pole barn type roof over the whole home.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mrbb

that's what the one builder said he wanted to do, he came measured things and said he'd call me the next day, that was 2 weeks ago??
I called twice, left two messages asking if he got a price quote for me yet, and haven't heard back,. so???
heck, the other roofer never showed up and the other one same boat, still waiting on a price??
I swear today its HARD to get anyone to do any work, even when its there job and your paying them??
will update with what I go with and post some pic's when its done as well
hotrod53

I have an '89 Champion 56x14 that I use as a camp. I have no running water, therefore scrubbing and recoating the roof was a real quest. The last time I coated it, I scrubbed it by hand with buckets! Being under large pine trees, it was a 2 weekend deal with 2 guys. Week 1 scrub the roof, let it dry, coat the roof. Week 2 clean out and scrub the small gutters, let them dry, coat the gutters and that last inch or so that you missed spots on while doing the top of the roof. It was an all round bad experience sliding plywood around, sore knees, and a sore back.

Bound and determined never to do that again, I proceeded to hire someone to do the job, no one wanted to do it, everyone was either too busy or never returned my call. I had a guy talk me into letting him come out to price a metal roof. Reluctantly I said yes, we dickered over pricing and I ended up with a nice new metal roof! It's lifetime guaranteed and cost me $3500, and I'm glad that I did it. I think that his price started around $6500 and we worked down from there.
mrbb

when you say you did a new metal roof, was it a roof built over the old roof??

'm still waiting on the two roofers to get back to me, call them once a week and they keep saying call me next week??
MAN it seems like they just don't want to work

one guy even told me he hasn't left his house all week cause its too hot out LOL

didn't think it would be this hard to get prices. cannot imagine how its will be if one gets the job, HOW Long it will take them to do it??

Guess who ever gets the job AIN"T getting paid till it done, seeing how slow they are to even give me a price??
don't want half a job started and them take a month to finish?
been almost a month since the first guy came and left saying he'd call em TOMORROW with a price, been 4 weeks now, NOT sure when TOMORROW is to him, but it came and passed a few dozen times in my world?
hotrod53

My roof cost me $3500 and it was done in a day. They put perlings down on the existing roof, wooden risers that are shaped like the metal roofing, then they fasten the metal roofing down to them. I'm completely satisfied with the job. You can spend more if you want more bells and whistles, they make fancy edging and such, but mine is a camp too. Different colors are more expensive too, white was the least expensive and that's what I went with. It looks great and should last a really long time.

They come out and measure, they make the roof cuts in the factory except for around the vent stacks and furnace vent, then they come out and fasten it down.....done! I wasn't there the day that they did it, but a neighbor said that they rolled in with a couple Amish guys and knocked it out in about 6 hours.
mrbb

well I cannot build off my existing trailers walls, there weak from age and o water damage from yrs back
so ONLY way to safely support a roof is by doing post and then buuilding a whole new roof over(think giant car port) over entire mobile home and add on porches
WHICH brings me to needing a 32x60 ft roof
Finally found a roofer willing to do the job(wants 19K)
I contacted a solid 25+ roofers and he is the ONLY one wiling to give me a price and take on the job

SO< not happy with price, but need a roof?

BUT next snag in the deal
contacted the local Zoning office to get permits(need them neighbor is township supervisor and a jerk)
to find out legally I cannot build a roof over a existing structure
having an attorney now try and find a way I can do it, as legally, the township changed zoning rules, and NOW won't allow me to BUILD anything on my lot, as they passed a law on size restrictions, must have "X" amount of acres to build, and I don't have enough, all I can do is maintain building on site

Lawyer said he'd have a answer for me on Sept 9th,
well, that has come and gone and never heard anything YET, so for now I am screwed, NO roof, and NOT allowed to build one over this one that's on it due to ordnance's here?
SO? back to square one, after 4+ months into trying to get a roof and NO where??
MAN never dreamed be SO hard to get a roof on this place, never mind the 19 price tag??
mrbb

well a follow up here
ZONING officer has still NOT gotten back to me, so much for him NOT wanting to hold me up as he promised he'd move things as fast as he could and get me a solid answer in under a week, been 3 weeks now and NO go
guy hasn't returned a single phone call, or gotten back to em since the day he was here??

SO< I re coated the roof with a rubber roll on coating, to get thru this winter, as NOT looking like any time to get one done this yr at this rate?

VERY frustrating, I started this in MAY thinking LOTS of time to get a roof??
WOW< just WOW< took till Sept to find a builder wanting the job and then ZONING shut me down, NOT sure if I can legally do a roof over
will be hiring my lawyer to look into things in Jan, and HOPE he gets me an OK to do so??
so, NO roof for this yr??
Markfothebeast

Some towns don't like mobile homes being around on a lot. Our place is on 1 acre in the country and yet floating in between "legitimate house" or "registered vehicle with a title". So nobody knows what the heck it is anymore because it was deeded as a house 40 years ago. In your situation it appears that the township has some type of housing discrimination issue with mobile homes.
I'd just crawl up there and begin putting in trusses and walls. They didn't comply within a specific time frame so there should be a legal fault somewhere in there.
Craigrrr

In Arizona, if the home is say ground set or pit set or basement under it and comes with land, we file an Affidavit of Affixture and then the home and land are deeded together and then considered a HOME. as the way the real estate agent here informed me. I think it is mainly a tax issue here so you only pay real estate tax and not personal property tax. It might also help with code enforcement too.
Markfothebeast

I'm not sure what the ordinances and such are like in AZ. But I'm ready to go down there with this cold weather!
Craigrrr

Markofthebeast, We are having another heatwave, 98* tomorrow possibly 100* too dang hot for this time of year.