Question about metal siding.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rockncountry101

I have a mobile home that I bought and set up 4 years ago. I have noticed that the metal siding is making much more noise than it did at first. Could this indicate that the home is out of level?
Greg

It is possible, but metal siding does do strange things. This time of year with cold nights & strong warm sun you have contraction & expansion of the metal, add some wind and you can get all kinds of noise.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rockncountry101

Thanks for the reply Greg. This is the fourth mobile home that I've lived in. They have all had metal siding and this is the first time that I have ever heard this much noise. I have someone coming out to level the house at the end of the month. I hope this minimizes the noise. If not, could the metal be screwed too tightly? Should I try to loosen the screws a bit?
Greg

I was thinking too loose, but check the level first and go from there.

Greg
rockncountry101

I spoke with a company in town. They are the company that most everyone uses. What's strange is that I do not know anyone that has ever had their house re-leveled. I've been in the same neighborhood for over 25 years and have never seen it done. They are charging $350 plus materials for a 16x56. I wish I knew if the house actually needed to be leveled. I can't crawl under the house and they won't come out just to check it. The only sign is that the skirting is bowed out in a couple of places. I live in Southeast Texas so no ground heave. My other concern is that if I get it leveled, how long until it is out of level again?
Greg

That's like asking how high is high, It's anyone's guess. $350 is not too bad of a price if it's done right. Make sure they use a water level It is the only way to accurately do the job. A carpenter's level is too short, you can have 1/16" off and still show level. Run that !/16" over the 56' span and you can be over an inch off.

Greg
rockncountry101

Well my house was only about 1/4 inch out of level. Not bad after 4 years. It took them 41 minutes and I was charged $350 labor and $10 for materials. I'm in the wrong kind of business!
Mark440

I'd almost kill to get my place leveled for $350. Last time I called around, $1700 - and that included nothing but the re-level. Any re-blocking, shims, etc was extra.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

Job opportunity!!! It's really not that hard to do.

Greg
Mark440

My biggest problem and fear (or at least I have made it out to be in my head!) is that it 'appears' everything has moved downhill about 1.5". I am basing that on the closeness of the house to the decking that runs the full length of the house. I believe this was caused by horribly large amounts of rain water coming from uphill - running right under the house and out the other side.

I have tiered the landscaping uphill to divert all of the water - but the 'damage done' is blocks leaning towards the downhill side in some places. I know I have to crawl under there and pour some footings - and am honestly more than nervous about doing it. My concern is removing one of the leaning piers and that triggering the whole place to topple. (it's one thing for the place to topple over - it's another for it to topple with ME under it!).

I can tell you that the ground anchor straps along the front are incredibly loose - and the ones along the back are as tight as piano strings. Seeing that and knowing the psoition of some of the stacks - well, fear can also be a big de-motivator.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

It will take some engineering to do the job safely. I would build temporary piers first to support the weight before doing anything. If you have a voice in your head, listen to it! Don't worry If the place falls on top of you, I guarantee you will be the first one to know!

Greg