Roofing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ponch37300

What are my options when it comes to repairing a roof like this? Honestly I don't have a lot of experience in rubber and roll on roofing. I've done many many squares of asphalt shingles but only a very limited amount of working with other roofing materials. This is on the trailer in the park that a friend recently bought. I didn't get up there and take a good look but this is what I could see from the porch. Looks like the painted on roofing is starting to get brittle and coming apart at some areas. What product is on there now? And what are my best options for fixing it? He just bought this trailer and has already stuck a couple grand into repairs so money is an issue and the cheaper the option the better but like anything I don't want to do a crappy job for him and not do it the right way. Is there a product I can use to just paint on over what's up there? Or is there better option that doesn't cost a lot? Just want to be able to give him some options and start looking into how much it's going to cost him to fix this. Think it needs to be done this summer to be sure there aren't any leaks. Think you can click on the pictures and it will take you to photobucket to view the whole picture. For some reason it cuts off a bunch of the picture when I post it to here.

HouseMedic

I would scrape off all the loose spots then power wash then coat it with Koolseal roof coating. I have seen way worse.

Ron
Greg

I agree with Ron if the roof is sound. If you end up replacing it I would go with steel. The home was not designed to support the weight of plywood sheathing and shingles. The steel will actually cost less than shingles.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

I didn't mean I was thinking to put shingles on it. Just saying I have done many squares of shingles and barely any other types.

How does the kool seal install? After some googling I see there website says it's under construction so can't get the instructions.

Is kool seal just one brand option or is it the best stuff out there? I don't see it on any of the local store's websites but see amazon sells it. Is that the best place to buy it?

Just scrape off the bad spots and power wash the whole roof? Then roll it on?

What type of roller is best?

How many coats do you need to do?

Do I need a primer at all?

Anything special to do around penetrations and at the edges?

Thanks for the help.
Greg

It Rolls on. It is just one brand of elastomeric roof coating. I see Lowes has a Silicone based with a 50 yr. life, a little pricey at $350. for 5 gal.
just follow the directions on the can.
I made a stand that sits on the peak of the roof to set the roller tray & can on so it sits level.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve-WA

Dude, the instructions are on the can. Answers all your questions.