Cold weather info

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Hi Everyone,

For those of you new to the site, or those that have not checked out the links in the blue task bar at the top of the page please do.

There are 2 articles in the "Articles" link, one about dripping water, and another about thawing you frozen pipes.

There is also a "newsletter" in that link "Winter 2004"

As some are finding out at the most inopportune time cold weather has an adverse effect on our homes as well. Please educate yourselves by reading these articles. If you need help with frozen lines, heat tape install instructions etc, please start a new thread and we will help.

In the meantime, make sure your insulation, belly material, skirting and heat tape are all in proper working condition.

Stay warm,

~Yanita~
archive

Trust me, Do what you can to PREVENT freeze ups. I have been out all day getting water thawed in our park and there are 2 common problems bad/no or unplugged heat tape and insulation and missing sections of skirting. there is one that the owner is going to have to spend a lot of time repairing, 50' of sewer pipe frozen & split PLUS frozen & split water lines. Greg
archive

Hi Greg,

As you know this is why we all are constantly harping on getting your belly area and skirting in good repair during the warmer months.

Your post also explains loud and clear why not to let the water drip...50' of frozen sewer line is gonna be a tough job this time of year.

Folks if you are in an area that has snow and missing skirting, you can shovel the snow up close to your home (banking)this will help stop the cold air from getting underneath. Do not pack it tight against what skirting you do have. Make sure that your vents are closed.

Stay warm,

~Yanita~
archive

Oh man! 50 feet of sewer pipe isn't only gonna be a hard job, but a real pricey one also!

Like both Greg and Yanita mentioned, most freeze ups can be prevented.

Freeze ups can be horrible in our homes. If pipes burst under your home, you'll be replacing sub floors insulation and belly material.

Here's another tip, pipes burst when they start to thaw out. Normally you wake up to no water, gotta get to work, so ya figure maybe the pipes will thaw themselves by the time you return in the evening. What ya don't realize is that if the pipes do burst, they'll do it while your at work. More than likely, you'll come home to a really huge mess! This happened to several folks during our deep freeze a few weeks ago.

It's much cheaper to call in to work, and then call a plumber!

Yanita mentioned the articles and newsletter. Valuable information there! If your pipes do freeze, call a professional if you're not familiar with thawing pipes out. From what I hear, there have been several very bad house fires back East. I know I heard at least one was thawing frozen pipes with a heat gun.

Like Yanita said... stay warm folks!

Maureen 8-)