Laying down new subfloor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

m5online

Hey all,

I'm planning some major remodeling this coming summer and spending the coming months getting my logistics together. I have a early '70's double wide that's it pretty decent shape. The sub floor is particle board and although it isn't rotten, the age of it is making it flexible, not bad, but enough to notice. I was thinking of laying down 3/4 inch or 1inch new sub floor on top of it rather than ripping it out. Planning on screwing it all down. Any issues with that? will is be to heavy?

I'm planning on totally ripping out kitchen, and all of the dining and front room carpets, extending out the 2nd bedroom out into the living room about 5 feet and then spitting it into two bedrooms so the kiddos can have there own space. So when I rip everything out, I want to put down new subfloor and lay down high quality wood grain linoleum and build up from there.

Thanks!
yakima4$

Go lightweight, install 3/8 ( if available) tongue and groove plywood. Stagger joints so they don't line up over existing seams. Think about where you may install linoleum for you will need to fill and sand those joints.
Staple areas where carpeted and screw where linoleum may be installed.
Toilet areas will need to have toilet flange raised and moisture treat plywood in bathrooms and or high moisture areas.
Greg

Do yourself a favor, do it right the FIRST time. Remove the old subfloor before you put down the new. All you would be doing is covering the problem, What will happen is the Particle board will crumble in the near future and leave you with a gap between the joists and new sub floor.
Cut the old sub floor out in sections and replace it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Agree with Greg completely.

Ron
yakima4$

I have seen many MFG home floor decking in great shape after 30 years. If in bad shape, yes then replace. But if looking good leave it. Make sure your belly skin is in place and sealed.
Stops the migration of moisture.
Just some thoughts.