what kind of pipe?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mopower440

I have a 2000 oakwood double wide. It has the plumbing vent pipes sticking out of the roof. They are black and measure 1 1/2 I.D., what kind of pipe would this be?
Thanks
HouseMedic

If it is true black all the way through then I would say it is ABS pipe, just make sure it is not painted white pipe which would be PVC.

Ron
mopower440

Is ABS what is normally used for these plumbing vents?
Greg

Many of the septic pipes in Mobiles are ABS. you can also use PVC if needed, just make sure you use the proper cement.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Black is ABS which is what a lot of MH use. ABS is hard to find in my area, the box stores sell white PVC with a few 1 1/2" ABS fittings. What I started doing is just using the PVC fittings and pipe to make any repairs. I use the blue transition cement, just read the directions carefully. You can also use a rubber couple to join the two different pipes. If you do use a rubber coupler(fernco type) make sure you use the one that has the metal band the length of the coupler and not the ones with a little worm clamp on each end.
HouseMedic

For transitions I have used PVC pipes and glued with the "Red Label" All Purpose Glue. It is for ABS, PVC, CPVC.

Ron