What is correct type of Nail to use on outside wall panels

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

waitingtohear

I get so confused going into Home Depot and looking at all the boxed nails. Most say they are "galvinized" which is not a long term coating for outdoor walls. They will eventually start to rust and streak.

Others say "outdoor" use but are coated with a gold tint? the box doesn't say what it's coated with.

What is best nail for putting up new outside wall paneling on mobilehomes.

What is the exact brand, size etc. you have (or would) use if buying from Home Depot or Lowes or Ace Hardware?
Greg

The best is stainless steel, but it can get expensive fast. Personally I don't like to use nails too much, Screws are stronger and do less damage. I use a lot of hot dipped galvanized that seem to hold up well against the weather.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

What exactly are you putting up? Outside walls is not a good description. Siding I would use aluminum nails, T-111 I would use hot dipped galvanized (they would be painted over anyway and last a long time) Screws do hold better but if you are doing a lot of siding that can be a painful job. They all could rust eventually except aluminum or stainless steel but if they are painted over with a good exterior house paint they should be fine unless neglected.

Ron