COLEMAN PRESIDENTIAL 2 WIRING ISSUE

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Silverburst1984

Robert (moderator) helped me out a few years ago (2010) with his expertise on the issues with my Coleman Presidential 6808A842 model electric furnace. and his advice was right on the money and it worked for the last few years with no issues. Another issue has raised its head now, the wires coming into the furnace into what I think is called the jumper bar or board from the main power seem to have gotten hot and melted in that area. Any ideas as to what could cause that type of problem? The breakers did not pop, no issues with heat or fan. Just the smell of burnt plastic coming through the vents and we shut off the breaker to the unit. It looks like the connections may not have been very good to begin with, but hard to tell since that board and connections melted down. Is this a part that can be replaced or is it time to just replace the whole furnace? Any advice or help would be appreciated, thanks!!!
ponch37300

I know this is a little late but loose or bad connections can cause resistance and heat which will melt the plastic. For the wires you can usually cut them back to good copper and insulation if you have enough slack. From what I get you are saying the control board also melted? If so you will have to try and find a new board. Can be a little pricey sometimes depending on the model.

If it's better to replace the board or the whole furnace will have to be up to you. A board is probably 150-200 bucks depending and pretty easy to install. A new furnace is going to be 1000+ for the parts and most likely have to have a HVAC guy install it. So up to you. Could install a new board and furnace work for years to come. Could install a new board and have something else go bad tomorrow. Me personally I just replace parts as needed on my own. Just had to get a new igniter after coming home from vacation and finding out we have no heat on a Sunday at 9PM.
Silverburst1984

Ponch37300:

Thanks for the info, that is what I was hoping to hear. There was nothing in my silly, logical mind that could be the cause except that or at least I was convincing myself that. I have already ordered the part (jumper bar is its actual name), not the control board. All else in the furnace checks out fine, so I am hoping this will be the fix it needs and not full replacement. The wires were loose and probably were the cause of the problem over time. Thanks a bunch for the reply!