Floor Replacement vs Overlay

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

I just received Mark's book and browsing through the floor sections, I did not see an option that others around my area have done. It is simply overlaying the present floor with plywood. It would raise the current floor up 5/8" (I was thinking 5/8" plywood). But I could cut the doors off an make other adjustments. I was going to do one room at a time. I need some input. Thanks!

I live in Amarillo, TX. The mobile home is approx. 15 years old. The floor has bad spots in the bathrooms, laundry room, outside entrance thresholds and around vents.
archive

Overlaying plywood over the existing floors could cause a mold problem, especially if you were to have a plumbing leak. Just my thoughts on it, Angie

JD
archive

Hi

Here's my 2 cents.

Your home is not that old.

We see these coverup repairs around here. Certainly not the best of repairs. I would take one room at a time and repair Mark's way. After you do one room the others are easier. Yes use plywood.

Harry
archive

Hi Angie,

Welcome to the forum!

All the previous post are correct. You will be throwing good money after bad if you just do a cover up, thats exactly what it is. Eventually the flooring you have now will continue to degrade.

All the areas you mentioned are notorious for water damage. Anything that has been water damaged needs to be replaced and repaired properly. You are headed in the right direction with the purchase of Marks Manuel!

Please check out the site in it's entirety. Look thru all the links in the blue task bar above. Check out all the various forums and post your questions accordingly. Please read the posting tips for both the repair forum and HVAC.

We look forward to helping you in your future renovations and repairs!

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
archive

There are a lot of advantages to replacing rather than covering over also.

1. You can seal your furnace ducts while the floor is up saving in some heating and cooling costs.

2. You can inspect the belly for things such as critter nests, insulation coverage, holes in the belly cloth, water leaks, water line routs, sewer pipe condition and angles, rotted wood, etc etc. This is a perfect time to repair any of these items and add insulation if you desire.

Personally I would never waste my time or money putting good over bad, especially when it will take about the same amount of work and money to do it right
archive

Angie, If you are going to do a repair, than please repair it, dont just cover up the problem. As Yanita said, the floor will continue to degrade to the point that there is nothing holding up the patch. Greg
archive

Hi Angie,

Once again, welcome to the forum!

Yep totally agree! Fix the problem, don't cover it up. You'll be happier in the long run... and it will cost you less over time.

I just want to make one other point before you tackle this job. Make sure that your home is level first. You've got the book, so you know the proper method. Tighten lag bolts, relevel the home.. then make the modifications to the floor.

Just my opinion!

Maureen 8-)