What is plumbers tape used for on the roof?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

darbynelson

This past week has been spent scrapping the different products that have been used to seal the roof off and going back down to bare metal. Tar with mesh has been used around pipes,vents, completely across where the metal from the sloping part of the roof joins the flat part. I've been using a power scrapper for removal of most of the tar/sealer whatever then wire brushing before putting the flashing sealer down. I'm too old for the work-out it's been and still have the perimeter to do and have a question on just what the "Plumber's Tape" (holey metal) that has been screwed down is doing. It's in 4 different places 3 are about 2 feet long and run length wise and one is about 6 feet long and runs across the roof. The plumbers tape is screwed down and then was covered with tar. After I scrapped the tar off the metal is loose enough to slide the scrapper under. I'm wondering just what the hell it is/was supposed to do and if it needs to be there at all? Any ideas? The metal is very loose and when I get done cleaning and resealing all the seams and stuff I'm going to use rumble buttons and screw it back down. After walking on it this past week I feel confident I won't be missing too many rafters. Should I start in the center and work out or on one side and work across. Once I got it cleaned up I should have taken a picture today but will when it gets light and I figure out how to send
HouseMedic

I don't get what you mean by "Plumbers tape" Do you mean a type of mesh tape? If so it is used with roof cement to patch cracks and holes.

Ron
Steve-WA

Strapping
Steve-WA

This stuff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darbynelson

Yes, That's plumbers tape, at least that what I've know it as from the '50's. Hope fully the zips will come through...and judging from the red note it didn't. How do I get the file down to that size so I can show the pictures I took of it.

It is plumbers tape: thin and bends easy!
Steve-WA

Yeah, I feel ya. I hate having to resize. Download an app, resize, then attach. Guess it's just how it has to work for now
HouseMedic

All the years (about 40) I never heard that call plumbers tape. Always called it strapping. It might have been used to keep the two halves together.