Bought and older double wide - Kitchen needed a refresh!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

m5online

Howdy gang,

New member here, and new owner of a mobile home. Bought it and moved in more out of necessity but now that I've been in it for about 6 months, I really like it and will probably stay for quite a while :-). This old unit had good bones but needed some refreshing. The cabinets really need to be ripped out and redone but I'm just not ready to do that yet, so in the meantime I did some minor floor repairs, laid down new flooring and painted and updated cabinets and hardware. Oh and new appliances and lighting too.

Floor was pretty bouncy so ripped the worst patch. It wasn't rotten, just really old particle board that was just flexing to much from age I guess. Replaced the patch with regular ply wood.

You'll see the open cabinets there. That was where the original built in oven was, at some point years ago they took it out and put in a regular range oven.

Laying down new laminate flooring.

The cabinets really do need to be ripped out and replaced, but in the meantime a coat of paint and new hardware really spruced it up.

All new appliances! The unit came with appliances but they looked near original and were in really rough and gross shape.

The dining area. The built in china cabinet looks really good with new paint. Still need to finish putting in hardware and glassing the doors, will prob use plexi.

Total Cost of refresh *including* appliances: $1200(ish)
All labor done by me and helpful family and friends (and lots of pizza and beer!)
Greg

Looks good, you can do a lot for not much cash if you do it right.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Annie410

Looks fabulous!
kailor

Very nice indeed!
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
Steve-WA

That's weird. I have 2 rentals with exactly the same floor plan. 1969s. One, we redid down to studs and opened up the wall to the LR as a pass through, and removed the hutch, opened up the exterior wall with French doors to a large back deck. Also, used the same oak laminate.
Today, ironically, I am removing that rotten - framed tasty French door and putting in a slider , and tomorrow cutting out all the laminate in kitchen and dining area to put in VCT. The leaky French doors, and water - sloppy tenants have ruined the lam. If I can remember , before & after photos soon
Steve-WA

Door switched... Crap- forgot photos! Flooring tomorrow... Maybe I'll remember
m5online

Ya, I've kinda noticed alot of units from late 60's early 70's have pretty much same floorplan. My unit was built in '71 I think. Like you I want to completely gut the kitchen and start from studs. I want to remove all the cabinets on the stove/fridge side and open it up to the living room and move the fridge over on the sink side. But I'm a single dad with two kiddos under 5 so getting the time to do it is a challenge. Maybe next year with they are both in school. Also, I'm not terribly happy with how the laminate flooring is holding up. The floor is solid but still has very minor flex and the seams between planks are loosing there tightness. I'm thinking that when i rip out the kitchen, i'll rip up the carpet in the front room and just lay down 3/4 inch ply wood on top of the particle board and use lots of screws to get it nice and solid, lay down probably that plank style linoleum and build up from there. I really like the hutch, it provides great storage, so I think I'll keep it :-)
Steve-WA wrote:That's weird. I have 2 rentals with exactly the same floor plan. 1969s. One, we redid down to studs and opened up the wall to the LR as a pass through, and removed the hutch, opened up the exterior wall with French doors to a large back deck. Also, used the same oak laminate.
Today, ironically, I am removing that rotten - framed tasty French door and putting in a slider , and tomorrow cutting out all the laminate in kitchen and dining area to put in VCT. The leaky French doors, and water - sloppy tenants have ruined the lam. If I can remember , before & after photos soon
Steve-WA

New thread for before & afters