Vinyl siding issue

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Pafrmboy

Can anyone offer some insight on how to remedy a bad vinyl siding install?

Background: The house had been resided with vinyl 4" lap over 1/2 " foam sheathing. I noticed a bulge at the 3rd, 4" section up from the bottom. (That level is a nailing flange). It is not adequately secured to the house at that level. The installer just tried to attach, but "foam" won't hold it! The issue is that going from the bottom up, that level nail flange the entire way around the house, seems to be sitting on a steel protector strap of sorts, (to protect receptacle wiring I assume). No nails can , nor should they get in.

What are my options?

I was thinking about removing ALL the siding from the house and adding 5-7/8th OSB. Then put the foam back up, but that is a big job! (Maybe some other time) I am now thinking about removing the siding bottom up to that level, remove the foam sheathing, add 1/4" OSB from bottom of home up 16"....(above the receptacle guard), add back the 1/2" foam and then use like 3/4" roofing nails and or screws to catch the OSB, but go no deeper. I think the extra 1/4" will not be an issue.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!! Todd
Greg

I would check a spot or two and find out for sure what it is hitting. You may get lucky and have it hitting the top or bottom of the strap and not the actual pocket where the wires run. If that is the case I would drill and use screws.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Pafrmboy

It seems that the steel strap goes the whole way around the house , (box or no box) and that the recept wiring kinda circles the home behind it.
Greg

Code requires a protector strap to cover the wires, since many mobiles run the wires around the outside of the studs EVERY stud will have a plate at about the same height.This is almost what it sounds like to me. Our's is about a foot off of the floor.
http://www.diyexplore.com/walls/protect ... nail-plate

Greg
Pafrmboy

Yep...that's the issue then. What do you think about adding a 16" piece of OSB all the way around?
Greg

I think to do it right (and making it look flat) you may end up pulling everything off and going down to the studs. At that point you may as well sheath the whole wall and tyvec it also.
I would still be tempted to see if I could just drill & screw the one strip.

Greg
mh_doni49

It does sound like a lot of work to pull it all down and start over (plus I'd be concerned as to whether or not the foam will survive being removed).

The following sounds to me like it should work.

Remove the siding from the bottom to one (or two) course above the metal strip.

At the location of each stud, cut out a piece of the foam as wide as the stud from the bottom to about 6 inches above the strap.

In each opening you created, attach a piece of 2x4 that you've ripped to be as wide as the foam is thick and as long as the opening is tall.

My only concern with this method is whether the remaining foam will have enough support behind it.

P. S. I'd use screws rather rather than nails and be sure to pre-drill to prevent the wood from splitting.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
mh_doni49

One more thing. I think redoing it would give you better results overall. But this was meant mainly as an alternative in case you can't do so right now.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
Pafrmboy

Thanks guys! I like the idea of the added wood strip to the 2X4 stud and I believe that the 1/2 foam could be supported OK.
I have been trying to do everything correct and right with this home. I have been so frustrated that I have discovered so many "shortcuts" and cheap repairs. I just tear it all out and redo it! I hate being a perfectionist!

This home is a secondary and sadly, I am only at the place about once a month for a few days to a week. It's hard to get the big projects done, but I managed to get 14 windows installed, new pex plumbing, new belly insulation and covering, ground vapor barrier and a slew of interior updates.

I think I will plan to pull all the siding down and sheath/tyvek as soon as I can. In the meantime I will do the quick fix to get the siding to stay flat.

What is your opinion of OSB/tyvek alone, or adding the 1/2" foam back, (Celotex with reflective back) with the OSB and tyvek. Seems like I would have too much thickness unless I used 1/4" OSB.
Todd
Greg

If it were a primary home I would stay with the foam, you can never have too much insulation in a mobile. I guess it's your call.

Greg
HouseMedic

You could also add a little strip of extra siding to the nailing flange by riveting a scrap piece of siding so you could nail it in about an inch or two higher then were the nail goes now. Or you could cut out about a 4" wide strip of the foam board and replace it with 1/2" OSB or Plywood to use as a nailing flange.

Ron