Determined mouse

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Greg

We have had a mouse that was either VERY smart or very lucky. We first saw him a few weeks ago, so out comes the mouse traps with peanut butter for bait. A few days go by and I check the trap, peanut butter gone, trap still set. So I spring the trap and discover the "trip tab" is awful stiff so I put a different trap down with the same result, OK, I'm not about to get outsmarted by mouse. I went and bought a trap by a different company and checked the trip tab with a paint brush, it had a "hair trigger" on it just what I need. Put the peanut butter on it and waited. Next day no peanut butter but the trap is still set. By now I'm wondering if this thing is either big enough of smart enough to stand on the spring when it eats the bait or what I am really dealing with.
Friday Sandy bought the sticky traps, we left one where the other trap was (with some more peanut butter in the center). We checked this morning and the trap was GONE!!! By now I am wondering if I really want to find out what I have, envisioning this critter walking around with a 3x5 sticky trap stuck to it's foot. Well after some searching we found a mouse (with the trap stuck to it's hind legs) stuck in the bottom drawer under the oven about 4 feet from where the trap was. he had crawled using only his front paws through the cupboard, into the bottom broiler drawer, and halfway out again before he got the trap stuck. I almost hated to kill him with that much determination I think he almost won the battle!! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
kashton

I used the sticky traps when we lived in Abbotsford, B.C. I found they work the best, except of course when the mouse doesn't land directly on it. I had set one in my broiler drawer under my oven. Forgot about it and turned it on. It was when I started smelling fur and burnt caramel that I remembered. Crispy mouse in a caramel coating.

I have only had one mouse here. Tried to share breakfast with me on my lap. He was deceased the next morning!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
Harry

Hi

Peanut butter is good. I wrap a little gauze around the trip tab.

Makes the mouse work a little harder to get the bait.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?

A few months ago I was awoken by the sound of a trap I set under my water heater going off. It must've just "winged" him, because he kept me up for the next half hour running back and fourth under my metal bathtub, banging the trap against the underside. What a racket before he finally fell into the belly through the hole made for the bathtub water pipes to pass through. Haven't heard or seen (or smelled) him since. I imagine the next time I'm in the belly repairing a water leak or some such I'll discover a tiny skeleton attached to a trap. You can't have fun like this in a stick-built!
kashton

Let me tell you all a little story about "The Stink".

One would never know how much a mouse could stink, but my sister could tell you. She set a trap by the basement hatch door. For some reason she placed boxes on the hatch and didn't think off the trap after that.
She phoned me one day to complain about a Rotten Potato smell, and that she had pulled her kitchen apart to find the smell. She couldn't find it. Three months later, I went to visit. I made her move the boxes so I could get into her basement. There beside the wall(on the other side of her kitchen) was the trap with a full skeleton and a patch of fur.

She doesn't put boxes there anymore.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
LilJack

Greg, you're story sounds familiar. Back in High School we had a mouse invade the home. My Dad and I put several traps with cheese throughout the house. Next morning we check them, kitchen- no cheese and trap sprung but no mouse. Same in living room. In the bedroom we find the trap sprung, cheese still there and mouse laying next to the trap. Thinking we finally got the sucker I picked him up with some tongs (Shop tongs, not kitchen) to throw him in the trash outside. Halfway there the sucker wakes up scaring the mess outa me. I toss him in the can shot him. Seems he was tripping the trap knocking himself out. Waking up and eating the cheese only to repeat the process at the next trap.
JD
Site Admin

Thanks Yanita
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Yanita

ROFLMBO!!!!!

So the rest of you understand this....Earlier today I was sending out a bunch of jokes to my friends...hence the pic that JD just posted was in one of those jokes.

Hey Harry...thanks for loosing the roach! I will never send you another bug in a joke either! :lol:

Take care everyone!

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Busybee1952

LOL, that mouse picture really cracks me up because I have the same problem. Mice that avoid getting caught! Only, I have a live trap because I can't bear to kill the little critters. I've caught them in the vacuum cleaner attachments but almost never in the live trap.