A Question for JD and the roofing experts...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rockncountry101

I have a mobile home that had an old roll over metal factory roof on it. I live under a bunch of trees and it was always so very loud when pinecones and acorns fell on it. Back in June I had a metal roof over built over it. It is attached directly to the original roof. The guy that put it on told me that he has put many roofs on for the same noise reason and it solved the problem. He used 1x4 lathes and then put 3 inch fiberglass insulation on top of them. After this he attached 26 gauge ag panel on top of that. I believe that if anything it is louder. Do I have any options short of a new roof? I'm seriously thinking of selling this house and buying one with shingles. Some people say that wouldn't work. I'm at a loss as what to do and could use some advice. Thanks.
Greg

About the only Idea I have is to replace the fiberglass with rigid foam insulation, that should quiet things down. But I really can't say for sure.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Yes, foam board would have done a better job with the noise, the Polyiso more so than Polystyrene. It is denser. I doubt that 3/4" of polystyrene would be enough. It would take probably 2" of polyiso or 3" medium density polystyrene to get good results, making the polystyrene less plausible when using wood lathes. There are aluminum roof panels with the foam laminated directly to the panels, which would be your best choice, No lathes required. None of the above solutions are cheap.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.