General Liability Insurance for MH Installers

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

retiredNtavernier

To the professional MH Installers,

What company are you using for GLI and how much are your premiums? I'm looking for a $100K coverage and a $5000 Surety Bond to meet the FL minimum requirements.

Thanks,
Rick
Greg

Only $100K coverage? Around here there is usually a $1 Mil. minimum. for ANY type of commercial coverage. I carry more than that on my Auto & home owner policies.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
retiredNtavernier

Thanks Greg. That's the minimum that Florida State requires.

I took pictures of 2 piers that had some concrete blocks turned sideways, open cell exposed and a single block as the last block on an interlocked pier. I then went and opened the perverbial can of worms, spoke with my local building department and they are quite adamant that only licensed MH Installers can replace the blocks and fix tie downs/straps. The building official also stated that, "No improvements or repairs can be done as an owner/builder of a MH home, they can only be done by a contractor or installer."

So instead of fighting the system, I will take the 12 hour class put on by the State to become a licensed MH Installer. Just need to find insurance. Quotes I was getting were for 1 Mil also. That's probably standard then.

Take care,
Rick
mh_doni49

The type of insurance you're after is intended to protect homeowners in case you (as their contractor) cause damage to their home.

But in this case, the only reason you want to get this license is to work on your own home.

So I'm curious what effect that would have on such a policy.
Don I
Holts Summit, MO
(Central MO)
retiredNtavernier

I have no intention, nor the time to work on other people's homes. I barely have time to do a "honey do list". LOL. For me it's like a hobby to do my own work. I have remodeled 2 homes (1 MH and 1 slab) and site built a garage, deck and patio.

"So I'm curious what effect that would have on such a policy." Not sure. Hopefully my wife doesn't decide to sue me for my work. Ah, hobbies are never cheap!
ponch37300

If all you want to do is fix two piers then I think I would just go under and do that without pulling a permit. It's not like you are planning on setting up or moving the mobile home or even really changing anything. I'm usually one for following the rules but sometimes it just doesn't make a lot of sense. Like going to get a license and insurance to fix two piers.

When I was doing a lot of work I went and got a liability policy and also an inland marine policy that covered my tools, always thought that was a funny name. I had a million dollar policy and it was something like 600 bucks for 6 months. It really wasn't that expensive. Once you have insurance a contractor's license is pretty easy to get in most states.
retiredNtavernier

Hi Ponch,

That's what I was going to do. Monroe County is really big on compliance investigation. I did a little research of the area and there is an overwhelming amount of investigations started by anonymous reports. Nosy neighbors maybe.

Common sense isn't common anymore.

Rick
Greg

Now that I understand what is going on, I would just do the work and be done with it. You are not changing anything, and you should be in & out in a half hour. At that point it's their word against your's.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."