Reinstalling the shower insert

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MattInAR

Due to water damage from a leaking AC last summer, I had to repair the floor in the master bath. I pulled out the one piece fiberglass shower unit with no real trouble, as it has battens and screws attaching it to the wall. I'm now ready to reinstall the fiberglass insert. Should I put a water proofing membrane under it? There wasn't one before.
Also do I need to do something to the shower drain? The metal shower drain just slide into the pvc drain line. Is that how its supposed to go?
Thanks for your help.
Build Learn Grow
Greg

As long as you have it out anything that you can add to protect from water is a big plus!
Many drains use a slip nut connection just like a sink drain to the trap. If there is no nut & seal I would change things to make a 100% seal.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
MattInAR

Thanks Greg. I'll put down waterproofing before installing the shower. I'm not sure how to install the slip joint though, as there is no access to the drain area. that may be why it was just dropped into the drain pipe.
Build Learn Grow
Greg

You may have to make a slit in the belly to gain access. Mark has belly tape in the site's store to seal it back up.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."