For JD and other roofing experts...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rockncountry101

I recently had a couple of renovations done to my mobile home. One of the main ones was a roof over. I had started to get leaks and didn't want to put up with that. I also had a hard time keeping the gutters clean because I live under a LOT of trees. I'd have to clean it at least once a week in the fall just to keep it somewhat clean. I found a contractor that has been in business a long time. He only charged me $700 labor. The material was about $1900. He installed 26 gauge ribbed galvalume over 1/4" laths. He put 3 inch fiberglass insulation with a vinyl backing in between the old and new roofs. I told him when I hired him that I wanted a quiet roof. It's not quiet. If anything it may be a little louder. I can hear the rain, pine cones, and most definitely the acorns when they start falling. Expansion and contraction on the roof is bad. Much worse than my old roof. My overhangs are approximately 6 inches so the water should stay away from my seams and windows at least. My gutters are covered up so no more having to clean them out. No two contractors agree on ANYTHING. Some say I should have used polystyrene foam. Some say double bubble. I am at a lost. I know JD is known for his wisdom when it comes to roofs. Will I have to start over? Can I start over? Is there anything that I can do to dampen the sound? I might could afford to take ONE more chance but I would have to make sure that this is the last time. I have heard of permaroof. But who knows if it would solve anything. $4,000 is a lot of money. Thanks for your help.
JD
Site Admin

Thanks for the confidence. I'll try not to let you down. The permaroof system is basically the same thing you have now, but using foamboard insulation. I don't believe permaroof is a hidden fastener panel, which would be the only major upgrade I could think of and highly recommend. But yes, permaroof would be a lot quieter due to the foam board vs batt insulation. An even quieter roof panel would have the foam laminated to the panel itself with no air gaps, but again, foamboard of at least R-11 density, properly taped, would be quieter than fiberglass batt. Depending on how much damage might occur in removing and resetting your existing steel panels, you may be able to replace just the insulation. This would only save a small portion of the reroof, since the labor is actually more in trying to salvage your panels without damage.

Another option is to have a foam roof sprayed on top of your existing panels. From the sounds of it, your 3" batt insulation got squished down pretty good and is not giving you the insulation rating anyways. But foam roofs are spayed over these panel roofs with great success. I am thinking it would be more than $4000 though.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
rockncountry101

I have noticed that when people lathe and put metal over shingled roofs there are never any problems with noise. Would plywood decking over the lathes be feasible? That's to say to completely scrap the job and start over with just plywood and metal?
JD
Site Admin

Not sure about this, but it seems to me like you would have more condensation problems that way. Lath insulation and metal would still be able to breathe some. Foam board method, done properly, would act as a barrier. Ply would (ha ha ply would) gas off moisture and it would be stuck.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.