Gorilla insulated skirting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I don't want to mess with frozen pipes in the middle of a Northern Utah winter. It sometimes will get -30 degrees on a severe night. So under my mobile home I hired a friend to frame it with 2x4's. Then I plan on adding the pink fluffy insulation and staple it in place. Then, on top of that, I am thinking of buying the Gorilla 2" insulated vinyl skirting. But maybe this is overkill? Here is a link to the product:

http://www.skirtingdirect.com/Merchant5 ... gory_Code=

Has anyone used this product before or something similar? I am open to all comments and suggestions.

Thanks!
Greg S

I strongly advise against using pink insulation. It is not water proof and when it gets wet it loses all its insulating value.
Use Roxul green insulation. It is water proof and allows any water to run directly through without effecting R value.
Install a vapor barrier on the inside, then the insulation and house wrap on the outside under the gorilla skirting.
The insulated skirting however should not be required. I just put on metal siding over the insulation.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

Well I wish I had seen that a few weeks ago, the top trim would have been easier to work with on my insulated concrete skirting that I am finishing up.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
UmpJJ

That "Gorilla" insulated skirting is the stuff I used 3 years ago when we moved our single wide to central Indiana. Down this way it's called Rapid Wall skirting - here's a link if you want to compare prices and products...
http://rustiquerapidwall.com/

I LOVE this stuff. No freeze issues (which we had before we moved), easy to work with and cuts with a circular saw. I set the bottom track for it on a frame made of treated 4/4's, secured 24" deep with rebar stakes. It doesn't scar or cut with the weed whacker, either.

I have the trailer set up higher than the norm, so my skirting is about 42" high. I wanted room to be able to work underneath it if I had to.

I'll recommend it to anyone who asks.

UmpJJ
nestsman

Greg S wrote:I strongly advise against using pink insulation. It is not water proof and when it gets wet it loses all its insulating value.

How does Roxul compare to the pink insulation when it comes to cost?

Thank you.