Roof-Over Overhang Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rockncountry101

I just had a metal roof over on my home. It's standard 3/4 " classic rib panels on laths with 3 inch fiberglass insulation with vinyl backing. The problem is that the overhang is 6 inches at one end at 10 inches at the other end. I'm assuming the home is out of square. Should it be like this or should I bring it up to the contractor?
Greg

Well, It shouldn't be like that but With out measuring everything it's hard to say where the problem is. I doubt the home is perfectly square, but I doubt it is that far out. It is more likely that something is off on the new roof. If it is not noticeable I would leave it. You may want to let the contractor know, but there is not a lot they could do at this point other than rip it off and start over.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Maybe take a framing square and see what exactly isn't square, the roof or the house. Then call the contractor and ask how come it turned out like that. He most likely is going to say some excuse that isn't his fault. But at least you can bring it to his attention and see what he says and see if he has any ideas on how to fix it. Just be nice about it but let him know that it bothers you and you wish he would have said something before or during the process.
Greg S

I can not see how your house not being square would affect the overhang other than at a peaked end wall.
The distance from the ridge to the outer edge of the eve would not change with a shifting of the house, even a partial collapse of the peek of roof, therefore unless the roof itself was initially built wrong every roof panel should be the same length thus the overhang should be the same the full length.

If your roof was originally uneven -peek to eve- then shingles would not show as visible as when using metal roofing however a good roofer could have cut the metal panels to compensate for any issue at the eve.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
rockncountry101

He said that it was badly out of square. He is going to come out in the next week or so and pop a chalk line. Once he does that he will use a nibbler to straighten it out. He claims that it will look as good as if it came from the factory that way. I am worried about rust but will have to ask him if the cutting will damage the protective coating.