Fiberglass or Double Bubble?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rockncountry101

I'm having a roof over done on my mobile home. It currently has a metal roof and I'm installing 26 gauge galvalume ag panels over it. I have the option of using fiberglass insulation with vinyl backing or what they call double bubble radiant barrier. My main concern is sound barrier as well as thermal barrier. One contactor says one thing and the other says another. Thanks for the advice.
Greg

I think they are calling the type that looks like packing bubbles "double bubble" that may work well since moisture could be a factor. I think I would do some internet searches and see what you find.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
rockncountry101

My installer is reputable. He's been in business a long time. He claims that the double bubble deteriorates fast and that he hasn't had much luck with it. He says that he uses 1 x 4 laths and puts a special type of vinyl backed 3 1/2 " insulation in between the old roof and the metal. He claims it works great for a sound barrier as well as insulation. My house is only two years old but has already started leaking and the gutters catch everything and pull apart probably causing tiny holes for water to leak into. I'm going with 26 gauge galvalume ag panels and then of course the insulation.
Greg

2 yrs old with roof leaks? Have you contacted the manufacturer? You should not have any problems for at least 10 years.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."