Show me how your crown molding turned out

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I don't need anything fancy, as this is just a mobile home, but I do need to replace the existing horizontal ceiling battens that that are a crude form of crown molding. My ceiling is vaulted with popcorn, so this will be tricky. If the photo upload problem is resolved on this website, I would love to see what you have done. Please upload a photo.

Thanks!
Greg

This is what I did it our Bathroom.
IMG_8579.JPG
Greg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
nestsman

Wow, that turned out really, really nice! I purposely won't be doing ming that fancy. I just need a basic, small, white molding.
Greg

That was molding that I made. If you do a corner, try using a block. It make the angles MUCH easier.

Greg
nestsman

Is your ceiling vaulted?
Greg

Oh Ya!!! Major PITA trying to figure angles, that was why I went with blocks in the corner. I was lucky that I was able to make the molding with the amount of wrong cuts.

Greg
gtpvette

We' put new crown up all through the house. My skills aren't good enough to have unpainted crown. I always end up caulking the joints,,, some more than others.... Ok some a lot. :mrgreen: That said,, it looks pretty good in the end.

If you haven;t done it before,, check out youtube. There are some good videos that help.

Caulk and Paint make it what it ain't!!!!

nestsman

Wow, this is another great example. Can you please tell me where you purchased your crown molding? Home Depot? Lowe's? Is it made up with a single piece or multiple pieces?

Thanks!
gtpvette

nestsman wrote:Wow, this is another great example. Can you please tell me where you purchased your crown molding? Home Depot? Lowe's? Is it made up with a single piece or multiple pieces?

Thanks!

The crown all came from a local lumber yard as it's cheaper there than Home Depot. If you dont have a good one close by,,, I'm sure the stuff at Lowes or Home Depot will be fine. We do use Home Depot base boards. They're sold in 8' sections so they've been spliced together on the longer walls.
nestsman

Would you mind taking another photo? Can I get a shot of that molding up close?

Thanks!
JeffInFL

I went the cheap route and used door trim instead of crown molding. I used blocks in the corners like Greg did, but they're much smaller.

nestsman

Is your ceiling vaulted? Can you get a close up of the corner?

Thanks!
nestsman

Good news! My friend who is helping me repair my home is going to tape and mud the gap where the wall meets the vaulted ceiling. He has already done some of it and it turned out really good. So now I can forget the added expense of trying to use crown molding to hide the gap.