Converting double doors into a single door

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

Hello my friends, I am back after being gone for the winter months. It's time to work on the mobile home again and I need some advice. In the photo below you will see double bathroom doors that open up into the master bedroom. It is not a good use of space and so I want to turn this into a single door, as well as close up the tacky gap at the top. Does anyone know where I can buy a new door that comes with a frame? I know Lowe's sells the kind used in a normal house, but mobile home walls are only about 3 inches thick, so I need a door frame designed for this situation. Also, would it be a bad idea to use sheet rock to fill in the gap at the top? We have a brand new powerful fan in the bathroom, so I don't think moisture build up is going to be a problem.

Thanks!

Oooops, I can't upload a photo because I just got this error message. How do I fix the problem? Delete some of my older posts?

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
ponch37300

You can buy a standard door from a box store but then you will have to rip the frame down to fit. Easiest way would be to take the door off the frame and then pull the sides and top apart and then run it threw the table saw to get the size you need and then put it all back together.

I'm not sure about the picture issue. A quick google search and it sounds like the site needs to increase it's total attachment quota, but I'm not sure. I'll do some digging and see if there is anything I can do but I think this might be something Mark or someone with more power then me has to fix.

I'm going to try and upload a photo to see what it says for me.

I just got the same message so it's not just you! I'll let Greg know and hopefully he can fix it or see if Mark can fix it.

Another option is to use a hosting site like photobucket or something. Then you should be able to post all the photos you want. I actually find it easier to do it this way because they automatically resize the photos for you.
nestsman

Wow, what a lot of work. Ummmm, how do mobile home manufactures make their doors? Do you think they use existing door frames or do they make their own piece by piece on site?
ponch37300

I'm not sure how they exactly do it but I'm sure they get stock in the width that they need by the thousands of feet and just make their own. They use the cheap non mortising hinges on mine so they go together quick.

I put call out for some help with the picture issue so hopefully it can be fixed easy.
Greg

Mark is aware of the problem, not sure of what the status is.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

All the home store in my are sell pre-hung doors made for 2x4 walls. I would just install that and then put the door casing on the outside lip on one side. Both edges should be straight enough to fit nice. After painting, you would hardly know it.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.