Replacement Window vs New Construction Window

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jpingram5

Came home today to find one of the kids used a window as a wide receiver for football. Best part is it happened inside and damage the inside pane on the window. It's the top part which doesn't move and I do not think you can just buy the top section to replace? Last time I messed with windows was about 7 years ago when I helped my dad put "Replacement Windows" in his house. Just wanted to here some opinions on replacement windows vs new construction. I have Kinro Single Hung Vinyl windows. I was looking around and found these Kinro windows on a mobile home supply store but they want some ridiculous prices for them. They are "Replacement" windows. I'm going to just assume that a new construction window would be a little more challenging to install then a replacement window. I found some other windows elsewhere for much less but they are not "manufactured home" windows, whether or not if that matters. Input appreciated.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
ponch37300

All depends on your siding. I had a cracked window and mine are also single hung. I found a replacement in stock at menards that was new construction. I have vinyl siding so I just peeled it back and took the old window out. Installed new window with new flashing and reinstalled the siding. Pretty simple job that took a few hours. Now if you can't get your siding off easily to install a new construction window then you will have to look into a replacement window and flash it accordingly.
Greg

When I did our's I installed stock size new construction Pella windows from Lowes & Home depot And reframed the window opening.

You can order replacement windows to fit your openings. I would price it both ways, but you may find some rottage depending on the age of your home.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jpingram5

Thanks for the input! The vinyl siding I have was stapled in which might not be too terrible to get off.

Just curious, I came across something online about replacing they vinyl pane in the window sash and not having to replace the whole window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYFY7uioX_Y

Anyone heard of doing this or have experience? Like I said, it's only the top sash that got broke on the inside and the bottom sash is just fine. Hate to have to tear it all out, but then again if it's going to cost the same I'd rather just replace the whole window.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
JD
Site Admin

The description for vinyl window types is, New Construction has a slotted nail fin designed to go behind siding, Replacement Windows will have no fin and are designed to be flashed and sealed by the installer, Stucco Fin windows will have a finished trim that is flush with the outside of the window and is not supposed to have fasteners put through it. These windows are secured with screws going into the rough opening jambs.

I have had just the glass replaced in vinyl windows. It can be hard to separate the glass frame from the exterior install frame. They use a special very sticky double sided tape. But if you can get that pane out of the main frame, a good window company can fix just the broken glass or just order it for you. It takes a week or two to order and receive the glass section, so keep that in mind. I boarded up my opening. Some window companies are just order and install companies that really don't do much for repair. But in my town there are several companies that are full service.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.