Homeowner Insurance claims

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

crackur

Ok guys, here in VA we had a very bad winter with tons of snow and ice....my back gutter pulled itself away from the house and did some damage on how it connects to the house. Also, I found some water stains throughout the house. I thought why not check in about a claim since I have never done one and I didn't know how expensive the job could be....

the insurance estimator/adjuster whatever they are called came out and said the ceilings would have to be replaced in all of the rooms with stains...I'm thinking thats all 3 bedrooms and probably bot bathrooms and w/d room with the gutter.

He also walked around on the roof and said I had some damage from past storms.....we had some hail awhile back and a tornado a few years ago. He encouraged me to put in an additional claim for that to get a new roof.

so I have a $1000 deductible .......so I believe if I did this I would have to pay $2000 for both right?

I have never put in a claim before so I don't know how it works. I have lived in this house for 6-7 years. It's a 1987 Manufactured Home.

The adjuster informed me he would be talking to my agent about the additional claim and get back to me.

So what can I expect and any advice?
Greg S

Wait till you hear back from your adjuster. Make sure you ask if placing a claim will raise your rates in the future. Once you have all the info you can then decide if you wish to place a claim.
Personally I never place claims if I can afford to pay for the repairs myself. Insurance claims should normally only be placed in the most severe situations in my opinion.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
crackur

Well I was thinking 5 or 6 rooms with dark stain ceilings, one being wet to touch and seep. The gutter hanging off and dry rot and a roof damaged and almost 30 yrs old is probably severe enough?

I couldn't get a handy man to touch it for that price.

I don't feel as though you answered any of my question but just gave an opinion of wait or don't do it.

I have never done one.......
gtpvette

I had a claim last year due to the fire down the street. The adjuster I had figured out what the total damage was, deducted my decuctable from that and wrote me a check for the balance. If there is a mortage,, things may change and they may want to write the check to the mortage company. I had this happen some years ago after hurricane roof damage to my home.
Greg

Do your homework and ask questions. Some companies will use the claim as an excuse to drop you. When you try to find another company they will find a claim was made and use that as an excuse not to write a policy.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Yes, definitely ask questions because insurance companies are constantly changing their payout and renewal actions. (did not want to use the word policies, because I did not want to imply insurance policies) I have had a customer that was insured through a little known insurance company and she got dropped after two claims and is now having a hard time getting new insurance. Now I have worked with Foremost a lot in the past and have not found them to be unfair in payout or quick to drop customers with claims. Again, their procedures can change as their reserve monies go up and down. So I would discuss this with the adjuster as well as the agent or insuring company.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
countrydan

Talk to your agent.

I just submitted a claim for my shed roof caving in. Weather related problems are not as concerning as other issues is what I was told.

Adjuster came out and wrote me a check for the difference between deductible and depreciated amount..

I was also told that they don't cover any ice dam damage.. I don't have any ice dam damage but very surprised about that fact...
Aaronjohn

I would agree on asking questions. There are companies who don't cover things,such as what the above post said. And,if you've thought about those things that bothers you then you can choose if you'd do it or not.
Aaron John
www.247torontolocksmith.com