Patience please- rant/vent

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Jaie

So, I've been in the process of buying a new place. It's a slightly larger, newer trailer/mobile home. It has a push out on it that we discovered today, cannot be pushed in, and the current property it is on, the woman who owns the property does not want anyone on the property until it's actually moved. Which makes getting estimates on moving very difficult. I've gotten one estimate of $2300 for moving and leveling, and one of $900 for moving and leveling. Both assume the push out will be shoved in. I also have a family member who can level it for nothing, and use of the family backhoe to move it. Which of course means, free. Of course, now I HAVE to have MY landlord to move it, since she doesn't want anyone else near it (her contract is with him so it's understandable) and he's willing to let the family move it if I want to take the risk.

I've been told that the shove of can be strapped and moved (I've had movers and others tell me this, so far I think the count is up to 8X I've heard this, that as long as you don't go on the highway, you can just strap the push out to move it) which would make things easier of course, but right now, I've getting annoyed with delays, changes of rules, and just constant crap over moving what should be a simple damn job.

This is all sounding like a "how many electricians does it take to screw in a light bulb" joke really rapidly.

I've got no idea what to do next, I'm getting really annoyed with the whole thing, and I'm 5 seconds from telling everyone to go to hell, and continue falling through the floors of the evil I know.
Greg

I have only delt with one tip out and that was years ago. It seems to me like they ended up pushing it in "gently" with a backhoe. If you go that route make sure that all of the locks/bolts that hold it open are unlocked or removed. I can gaurantee that it will be closed (or broke off) if you use a backhoe. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jaie

There is no pushing in to this tip out. It's not only been added on to, but it has a roof over. At this point, I'm ready to say the heck with it and just stay in this dump I'm in already. This isn't worth the hassle at this rate.
Yanita

Hi Jaie,

Sorry for the frustrations, but glad to hear from you. Thought you had forgot about us.

I'm sorry, but did you say how big this tip out is somewhere and I missed it?

How far does this home have to be moved, a couple hundred yards, couple of miles? You said they do not have to haul it down the road...does it get pulled thru a field of sorts? Rough terrain, smooth?

I know you said you have had several tell you this can be moved with the tip out in place...but...to me that sounds pretty risky. You said "they" could strap it up, what does that mean, what are they going to strap it to?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a better idea of the situation.

LOL, you sound like me...5 seconds away from saying...........

~Yanita~
Last edited by Yanita on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Jaie

Yanita wrote:Hi Jaie,

Sorry for the frustrations, but glad to hear from you. Thought you had forgot about us.

I'm sorry, but did you say how big this tip out is somewhere and I missed it?

How far does this home have to be moved, a couple hundred yards, couple of miles? You said they do not have to haul it down the road...does it get puled thru a field of sorts? Rough terrain, smooth?

I know you said you have had several tell you this can be moved with the tip out in place...but...to me that sounds pretty risky. You said "they" could strap it up, what does that mean, what are they going to strap it to?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a better idea of the situation.

LOL, you sound like me...5 seconds away from saying...........

~Yanita~

Ugh. It's just one thing after another, I haven't done anything except get estimates, show people this place, and etc. I've had no me time at all and it's finally snapped.

Ok let's see if I can answer all this.

how big this tip out is...huge. We measured and it's actually 144" to the half wall then another 120" to the end of the tip out. So large. I've never seen on this big.

How far does this home have to be moved....about 50 yards. Through a field and turned to get on the new lot. Not real rough, but there are sumac stumps that could be an issue.

You said "they" could strap it up, what does that mean, what are they going to strap it to?...so far, 4 moving companies have said that the tip out can be strapped. Ropes tossed around the trailer and tied. We've also been told by the owner, the the roof is perm, and that the push out shoves in and the roof falls to cover it. When you push it back out, the roof goes back up. I've never even HEARD of such a thing and have serious doubts. The other suggestion, was a flat bed, put it under the push out, and slowly move with the main mover at a really slow pace and move both at the same time. And highly risky. The push out can bend or snap off.

I just think at this point, much as the current trailer is a heap of steaming crap, moving this other one may be too much hassle for me. Since it HAS to be moved (my LL has a contract with the owner of the trailer) it will be. But at this rate, not by me, and I won't be getting that trailer.
Greg

Jaie, it sounds to me like an uphill battle, You have to take a long hard look at it to determine if it is worth it, in the long run you are the only one that can make that decision.
$900 is not a lot for a move, unfortunately the short distance gives it a distorted view, if it were 10 miles you would feel better but it is the same tear down and re leveling time.
this sounds like one of those deals that you just can't win at, if you pass it up you will wonder if you did the right thing, and if you buy it you wonder if you did the right thing. In my mind if you are not 100% sure, walk away. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi Jaie,

I am kinda with Greg on this one.

First off, to throw straps around it just not seem quite right to me, seems as though the home could receive alot of damage. If that were to happen you would be in a worse situation than you are now.

My thinking is that once the supports are removed from under the tip out that is an awful lot of stress on the home. I can envision the straps themselves causing roof damage on the other side of the home from the weight.

Now please, keep in mind I have zero experience with tip outs, setting up, tearing down, moving...

If you were to hire a mover then I would make certain I knew what was written in the contract in the event that there is damage to the tip out or the rest of the home.

Only you can decide what is the best way to go for yourself and family.

Please keep us posted on what you decide.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!