Gurgling sound from washing machine drain pipe

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

homebuff

Oh one last thing!
The front bath room toylette drain has been leaking for a long time untill I shut the water off at it a while back & don't use the front bathroom for now till I fix the opening under the toylette.
Some one on here a long while back told me an opening in the drains can cause it not to create a vacuum & cause my problem though. HUMM
I wonder if thats true or not?
System won't drain right without a vacuum created.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
DaleM

Not a vacuum but a vent. Kind of like having your finger over the end of a straw, if no air can get in no water can get out.

Hot water won't melt a frozen sewer. The only thing that works is a torpedo heater aimed down the length of the sewer or getting the underside of the home above freezing for some length of time.

Since I don't know where you live or the kind of weather you are experiencing I can only go with what I read and offer suggestions. As for your water not freezing, you should have a heat tape or cable and insulation protecting it. Any kind of leak from any faucet or toilet flapper will cause a build up of ice in the sewer pipe if that pipe is exposed to cold enough temps. Another thing that can cause a sewer to freeze up is dripping a faucet to keep the water from freezing. This is great for the pressure water but not good for the sewer.

Another thing to look at is your roof. Is any snow up there causing plumbing vents to be blocked?
homebuff

DaleM wrote:Not a vacuum but a vent. Kind of like having your finger over the end of a straw, if no air can get in no water can get out.

Hot water won't melt a frozen sewer. The only thing that works is a torpedo heater aimed down the length of the sewer or getting the underside of the home above freezing for some length of time.

Since I don't know where you live or the kind of weather you are experiencing I can only go with what I read and offer suggestions. As for your water not freezing, you should have a heat tape or cable and insulation protecting it. Any kind of leak from any faucet or toilet flapper will cause a build up of ice in the sewer pipe if that pipe is exposed to cold enough temps. Another thing that can cause a sewer to freeze up is dripping a faucet to keep the water from freezing. This is great for the pressure water but not good for the sewer.

Another thing to look at is your roof. Is any snow up there causing plumbing vents to be blocked?
I've already ruled out frozen pipes.
And hot water will freeze faster than cold as i've been told in the past.
I'm here in Okla. & the weather here now is warmer now.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
homebuff

Well our neighbors 2 doors down are having the same problems with their septic backing up so that has to be on the cities side.
Did find out yesterday they were doing some repairs on the main septic lines.
Have to confirm more on our problems.