Gurgling sound from washing machine drain pipe

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

homebuff

My washing machine is making a loud gurgling sound when in the drain cycle. :(
It also if I'm not mistaken be causing water to back up into the kitchen dishwasher but not for sure. :?
Wife has to start the dishwasher in a full wash cycle & put bleach in the bottom to keep it from smelling over time.
It drains fine when in the drain cycle keeping the water out of the bottom.
I need to know if using bleach & baking soda down the washer machine pipe might help keep the washing machine drain pipe cleaned out.
I also was told I may need a plumber come out & see if it may be stopped up.
Need to address this as soon as possible before a disaster may happen later on.
Have lots of other home project to do once I get this one resolved.

Thanks! :wink:
Brent
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Greg S

Gurgling is caused by one of two things blocked (insuficient air) or blocked drain line. If it's backing up into your sink then it is a blocked drain under the home. You will need to snake the line.

However, if you are in a park and your home is on a common septic line sometimes the blockage can be in the park line. What happens is the entire line gets backed up with water during heavy use.

To test do the laundry at a time when few people would be using water. If it still gurgles the blockage is in your line not the parks.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
terrifromohio

I had mine back up into the shower in the main bathroom on a Sunday. Noticed the shower was not draining right and then went to wash a load of clothes, next thing I know the washer was not draining and backing up into the shower.
I caught it in time and turned the washer off. I had to call a plumber who had to come out and snake the drain in the shower.
I would call a plumber and have them come out and snake the drain before you have a big mess.
homebuff

:D Thank you for that info!
It never backs up into the bathtub drain or kitchen sink as of yet but It may be on its way to doing that soon.
We did have a very long time ago had a plumber come out & snake the drain at the service port under the house & he found parts of a root in it & removed what he could.
Then from then on we put toilet paper in a trash can instead in the toilet.

Wife says it does it mostly when doing alot of laundy at once.
The bathtub drain I have noticed does take a short time to drain the water out & I always unscrew the valve stopper & clean out the hair from it to make sure its not the hair from the drain.
I;ll tell the wife to put some bleach down the washer drain pipe first before calling a plumber.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Greg S

Put the bleach down the line and call the plumber at the same time cause the bleach won't do anything to clear a blocked main line.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
homebuff

Greg S wrote:Put the bleach down the line and call the plumber at the same time cause the bleach won't do anything to clear a blocked main line.
OK thanks! :wink:
HouseMedic

I would check for blockage. Once you have a root problem in the sewer you will always have a root problem unless you get rid of the trees. The roots will grow back after a while. As for the smell in the dishwasher, the dishwasher drain line is suppose to run underneath the counter and loop up near the top so if any water tries to back up into the dishwasher you will see it in the sink first. This is code in my area.

Ron
homebuff

Thanks!
Have to snake the washing machine drain pipe first & see if thats closest to the restriction area or not.
The back bathroom toilet never gurgles & its the closest to the main sewage 4" pipe.
he drain pipes are 2" grey polybuthalyne pipe.
The front bathroom I have shut off cause of a bad wax ring leaking badly & too cold & have this lukemia which tires me out so much I can't do a lot work without it tiring me out so soon.
All Prayers welcome for a quick recovery so I can finish up my important projects.
The chemos what cause me alot of problems with my stomach.
terrifromohio

God Bless and sending prayers and I hope you get to feeling better soon. Chemo is very hard on a person, had several family members go through it.
It only took the plumber about 15 minutes to snake my drain and he had an industrial size snake. Once he did that I have not had a problem since. He is a very good plumber and knew right where the problem was.
He has done much work for me here, faucets and other things I am not able to do.
homebuff

terrifromohio wrote:God Bless and sending prayers and I hope you get to feeling better soon. Chemo is very hard on a person, had several family members go through it.
It only took the plumber about 15 minutes to snake my drain and he had an industrial size snake. Once he did that I have not had a problem since. He is a very good plumber and knew right where the problem was.
He has done much work for me here, faucets and other things I am not able to do.
:( On my budget I'm going to go to the hardware soon & buy me a snake & hope that solves my problem.
I assume i'll have to snake the washer machine drain pipe first since it gurgles from the kitchen sink over to the drain pipe at the washing machine pipe.
I figure may be alot of grease or food particles built up between the two ends.Wife used bleach earlier but so far had no affect on the problem.
I dought tree roots would grow that far up the pipes.
DaleM

Are you sure it's blocked and not frozen? We have had plenty of frozen sewers around here this year.
homebuff

You may have a point DaleM!
This morning it was running overflowing out the front bathroom toylette Badly.
Confusing since at the front of the sewage & not way down towards the washer & kitchen sink.
The washer was draining when it did it.
Gosh I wish I could get rid of this old 1988 trlr.
Wife was in tears!
Fixing to put bleach down the washer drain.
HouseMedic

Bleach does not do anything but sanitize the drain. It will not unclog it. If you put bleach or any drain cleaner down the drain be careful if you go to use a snake afterwords. If the drain cleaner is still in the drain it can burn your hands or any other part of your body if you come in contact with it.

Ron
DaleM

Drain water will flow out of the system at it's lowest point. Normally when a sewer is frozen, when the toilet is flushed things back up into the bath tub. That is the lowest open point in the drainage system of the home. Anything that goes down the sinks also backs up into the bathtub, again because it's the lowest open point in the system. We have thawed out about 10 sewers this year. Normally only 1 or 2 but with the really cold temps it has gotten colder under the homes. You can crawl under your place and tap on the pipe with the plastic handle of a screwdriver. A solid, frozen, pvc pipe sounds noticeably different from an empty one. If you have any cleanouts on the system you can open those also to have a look, just be careful cause if it's not frozen at that point you will get wet!!
homebuff

DaleM wrote:Drain water will flow out of the system at it's lowest point. Normally when a sewer is frozen, when the toilet is flushed things back up into the bath tub. That is the lowest open point in the drainage system of the home. Anything that goes down the sinks also backs up into the bathtub, again because it's the lowest open point in the system. We have thawed out about 10 sewers this year. Normally only 1 or 2 but with the really cold temps it has gotten colder under the homes. You can crawl under your place and tap on the pipe with the plastic handle of a screwdriver. A solid, frozen, pvc pipe sounds noticeably different from an empty one. If you have any cleanouts on the system you can open those also to have a look, just be careful cause if it's not frozen at that point you will get wet!!
You would think though the hot water from the washer would slowly melt the ice away.
I think i'll try some hot water in the drain as soon as the bleach smell settles & see if that does the trick.
Hop it won't explode though mixing the bleach with the hot water.
At least it will melt away my stools faster.
They can collect in the drain in large clods I suspect. :?
I do know a drain pipe will freeze faster than the main water lines under house.
I have 2-1/2 inch thick insulated panels with styrofoam in between them surrounding my home.
Never have problems with water pipes freezing.
Thanks for that info! :wink: :)