Quieting A Metal Roof?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rockncountry101

Metal roof + acorn trees above = Not a very smart move. Is there anything that can be done to quiet it a little?
Steve S.

More information please...probably cheaper to remove oak tree(s) than replacing your roof or constructing a roof-over. In my opinion, no large trees should be anywhere near (within striking distance) of any house, MH or otherwise. Oaks are generally well-rooted and not subject to windthrow, although they may have larger branches which can break off and do some damage. All the large trees in my yard are at least 50 feet from my home.
Steve
Greg

Well, be thankful it's not a walnut tree.

About the only idea I have is to do a roof over with lots of insulation between the two.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

I would cut down the trees and sell them to a saw mill. Regardless of the noise issue they are too close to the house and should be removed.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
JD
Site Admin

The above suggestions are probably the best suggestions, but as Steve said, an insulated roof is costly and effectiveness would be determined by the build of the roof.

Another idea would be, especially if this is a smallish area, to erect a sturdy frame (could be 2x2 wood or 1 1/2" metal awning tubes) That sits a foot or so above the roof and cover the frame with Sunbrella cloth. This UV screen is tough and UV resistant to a point. Probably would need replacing every few years. Being screen material, wind should be able to blow through it rather than blow it off. I have a customer that did this to his entire roof and it lasted for years so far. I am sure it reduces summer heat, but at a great cost.

OK, I just figured out that I am using my Fresno, CA mind. If you get snow, or in a severe wind weather area, disregard this post. :)
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.