windows-replace or take out completely????

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty

I was wondering if there is a problem with taking out nearly half of my windows in my home? I have more windows in this place then a stick house does.... its insane!! SO I'm asking are these windows placed where they are for a reason? Why do I have soo many when the others here do not?? I have a 12x70 1973 home & the ones that are in here are also that age (most) & I have 17 windows- one is the big window in the kitchen (with the 2 singles next to it) and the other is a double sized window in my living room (which is only one window that slides)... but still 17!! My mother has a stick house on 2 floors & doesnt have that many. Would there be any problems in taking out maybe 6 or 7 of them??? Is replacing a window where is costs about 75-110 a window depending on the size to a replace or filling it in going to be a better cost effective route? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.
betty

Thats for just the window, I would be installing them myself with a friend who knows how to do those.....
1987Commodore

You will need windows in each bedroom large enough for emergency egress.
Greg

Many manufacturers add windows to give the illusion of a larger space from the inside. Depending on your location you may not need all of the windows, but remember that you will need to fill the space where the window was with something and the sidinge you have now may not be easy to match.

If you are in a cold climate you may not need all of the windows and removing a few may help the heating. If you do replace them buy a QUALITY window, you will be glad you did.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Regardless of your choice to replace or remove you should first speak with your local building inspector to determine if what you plan is according to the local building code. It is easier than being half way through a reno and be faced with a building code violation and fine.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
ponch37300

For the cost it's most likely going to be cheaper and easier to just replace with new windows. This will depend on your siding and some other things. But if you fill in the holes you will need to match the siding and interior paneling or drywall. Like mentioned this can be tricky and also adds to the expense of replacing the windows, to the point that if it was me I would just replace with new windows. Just not worth the hassle when you look at the price differences. Just use efficient windows and you shouldn't have too much heat loss.
calderhill

All good answers.

Now let's get real!

Replacement windows or no windows means making a mess of your interior and exterior walls.

You really need to sit, stare and picture what will happen.

Picture an errant vehicle coming through your wall.

Now you can picture how to fix the big hole in your wall.

I had to deal with amateur window installers by careful size and placement of shutters and expanded exterior trim.

Inside wasn't level or square so lots of "faking out" the eyesight tricks with walls and trim.

I recommend exact custom drop-in windows which is the most expensive solution but almost no impact on the walls.

Do you really want to put big holes in your walls and then try to patch them up?

Not me!
Norm Frechette

i wonder why you would take out windows and make the inside darker?

it would be like living in a basement.
JD
Site Admin

Most mobile homes I have installed windows on have 12-14 windows. The most windows I have replaced on a home is 22, but that home was unusual. It had windows stacked 2 & 3 tall on the gable ends, with the top window matching the slope of the roof. This was the south (sun) side of the home, which created a lot of heat here in Fresno, CA. These windows were replaced with Milgard Solar Max Ultra windows which perform great!

On your 1973 home, keep in mind that home store brand, dual pane, custom sized, stucco fin, vinyl windows may have close to the same insulation quality as your walls. Probably higher R-factor than the thin walled '73 homes. I have seen walls made with 2x2s in that year. With the stucco fin frame, you just pull your old windows, caulk the back of the stucco fin, and push them into the hole. A few screws and you are done. No exterior trim needed. Windows will cost around $150, $250 & $350, for small, medium and extra large windows.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
betty

Greg S wrote:Regardless of your choice to replace or remove you should first speak with your local building inspector to determine if what you plan is according to the local building code. It is easier than being half way through a reno and be faced with a building code violation and fine.
I live in a private park & we can do whatever we want in here, no inspectors
betty

Norm Frechette wrote:i wonder why you would take out windows and make the inside darker?

it would be like living in a basement.
No I'd still have 10 windows which is still alot compared to some of the other homes in my park... but I was asking due to the money to replace
betty

thanks everyone for the advice, its probably going to end up being replacing them all in the summer b/c I seriously doubt I will be able to find the same pattern & texture or anything like what is on the outside of my home & I dont want to deal with having everything mismatched until I get money to replace all of windows & then paint, so its prob gonna be a few windows at a time til they are all done.
ponch37300

betty wrote:
Greg S wrote:Regardless of your choice to replace or remove you should first speak with your local building inspector to determine if what you plan is according to the local building code. It is easier than being half way through a reno and be faced with a building code violation and fine.
I live in a private park & we can do whatever we want in here, no inspectors
While there are some towns that don't have inspectors, just because you live in a private park you still have to follow local building codes and ordinances.