kitchen floor getting wet

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

betty

HI, some of your may recall me posting alot of ?s on my kitchen floor.... SO my ? from the experts would be.. do I replace the whole floor (after I get the water running underneath fixed) & put the plastic on the ground as well as before the insulation & under the flooring?
I'm asking b/c the mobile home guy came out & said I didnt need to replace the floor, just put new plywood down with plastic & put the vinyl back on the floor. I'm sure this place has had the same issue summer after summer of the floor getting wet with the humidity levels high since the 70s... do I replace the whole floor or just put all the plastic down as he said?? thanks.
Greg

It sounds like you may have come decisions to make.

IF the floor is structurally sound AND there is not a mold issue, you can try a plastic ground cover and add skirting ventilation.
If you need to replace the sub floor due to soft spots or mold you may be able to save the flooring, but at that point I think I would go for broke and have a new kitchen floor also.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

What shape is your vinyl in? If it was me I would have him leave it out, just replace they plywood that is damaged and then I would put down a new floor of whatever you want.

Our vinyl wasn't glued down, just ran under all the cabinets and walls and stapled at the edges. Is your contractor taking out all cabinets? If he is going to cut around all these things then you are going to have a lot of edges that won't be "secured" down other then glue. Which can be fine but personally I like more then glue in most places. Also have to make sure your vinyl is made to glue down. In my opinion it's a perfect time to put some new flooring in. Something like laminate which you probably can do yourself with a few tools.
betty

I have brand new vinyl.. the old vinyl had to be ripped up b/c there was mushrooms growing under it & they thought it was the glue the previous owners used.. so right now its just the wood floor I've been walking on.
I dont have a "contractor" this was just the mobile home depot who came out to give me an estimate on the roof & windows... this is just something I asked about while he was here & he said I didnt need to replace the floor. I wanted to get other options ALSO is this something a house contractor can do & trust them to do correctly.. if I replace the whole floor?