Door weather strip hangs too low

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I had about a half inch gap or more at the bottom of my door, so I bought one of those weather strips. However, it hangs way too low and makes it difficult to open/close the door. Any thought on the best way to trim this sucker?

Thanks!
weatherStrip.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HouseMedic

Is that a steel door? If so can you take a picture of the sill plate? It might be an adjustable kind.

Ron
nestsman

Ron, it is a steel door. Here are the photos that you asked for. The second one shows a screw going through the sill plate into the mobile home floor.

Thanks!
sillPlate.JPG
sillPlate2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HouseMedic

Thanks for the pictures. Sorry to say that is not an adjustable one. I don't think it would make a difference but the screws go on the inside. If there were already holes on the outside that door might have had just a single strip of aluminum with a rubber flap on it that used to be attached to the door. If you want you can try turning the piece that you put on around to were the screws are on the inside and see if it closes any better. Sometimes the rubber blades are made with a slight angle on them.

Ron