Mobilehome Park Conversions

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Susan

We have heard many times about parks all over the country being converted to different uses and putting the mobilehome owner out on the streets. I read the article below in my local newspaper today that made me think there is some hope for us. It's not a done deal yet, but we're close!

http://www.napavalleyregister.com/artic ... 519792.txt

Susan
kashton

That would be nice to see laws pass. My mother-in-law sold her park near Vancouver B.C. I know the guy bought it to divide or tear out. The 2010 Olympics are going to be in Vancouver, he stands to make allot of money putting in a motel, Hotel or even a camp and RV park. The people in that park are mainly elderly, and are on low fixed incomes. I hate to see that happen to them!
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I'm at the front, twirling a baton!
JD
Site Admin

Mobile home parks are surely getting hit hard. Seems there is always one being converted somewhere and I never hear of new parks or existing parks expanding. There always seems to be a rural fringe area where people are buying 1 to 5 acres and setting up a new home, but this is not affordable to many people.

But in my area, this is not just a mobile home thing. With the rise in property values over the last 10 years, the older mid priced neighborhoods have become more desirable. Then the much older and smaller and lower priced homes in those neighborhoods are being bought up and leveled for development. Even where the big developers aren't putting up track homes or condos, small developers are buying 3-4 homes in a small area and putting up homes that would be considered upscale for the neighborhood.

I am real concerned with the displacement of lower income housing and mobile home opportunities. While lower income folks have fewer places to be able to live, the percentage of lower income people seems to remain unchanged.

Tax revenue for municipalities are growing, developers, banks, insurance companies are all enjoying the increases and even the average home owners seem to want to invest a higher percentage of their income to get a home that may be a step above their comfort level. This leaves almost no one with a public voice to address the problem of lower and low income housing.

I believe this condensing of low income families harbors discontent and increases the crime rates. It also seems very uncaring and selfish as a society to me.

JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Hi Susan

Around here parks closing is a common thing. Most of the time condos are built in place of the parks. The folks that are hurt the most are the old folks. I am 62 years old ... so I am sensitive to the problems of the elderly.

My advise to younger folks is not to count on spending your golden years in a park. Try to find your own land.

JD - I sure agree with your post. All of it applies here in Sunny Fla.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?