Any examples of crown molding?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I have taken down all of the vertical battens and left the horizontal ones by cover the seam by the ceiling. I'm thinking of buying some inexpensive crown molding and installing right on top of the ceiling batten. Has anyone done this? If so, do you have any photos of how the project turned out?

Thanks!
Greg

Many mobiles do have crown molding. Depending on your ceiling type it can be a real challenge to install. We have vaulted ceilings in our's and I about ripped my hair out doing the bathroom.

I would strongly recommend watching a few videos before doing it. Pay close attention to the angles, a 1* mistake will show up, If you are painting it you can use a filler to hide the gap but if you are staining it it needs to be about perfect.
http://www.ronhazelton.com/search/resul ... mit=Submit

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

The one trick with cutting crown is on the saw you want the crown to be upside down and reversed if that makes any sense. Some saws like the Dewalt that I have can use a guide that will hold the crown right side up and you can cut it the same way you cut regular baseboard.

Ron
Greg

The biggest problem that I see is assuming that corners are a true 90*, I have an angle finder and few are.

Greg
KLBoldon

We have popcorn ceiling so our crown molding had gaps from not resting flat to the ceiling. We used a paint-able caulk to fill the gap and it really improved the overall look of it all.
Norm Frechette

heres how mine is done

nestsman

KLBoldon wrote:We have popcorn ceiling so our crown molding had gaps from not resting flat to the ceiling. We used a paint-able caulk to fill the gap and it really improved the overall look of it all.
I would love to see a photo if that's possible. Did most of you guys just buy some crown molding available at Home Depot? Or did you find it some other way? My ceiling is also vaulted, so I'm guessing the angle will make it a bit more difficult. Maybe I should just hire someone who does this for a living.
1987Commodore

The most difficult part is matching the corner angles. Practice with some scrap pieces to get it right.
Paintable caulk hides a lot of sins.
Greg

This was in my Email box this morning.

http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/how ... _Crown_Mol

Greg