Nordyne furnaces don't have filters?

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

nestsman

Today I looked but could not find a replaceable furnace filter. I have a Nordyne. Do these units made for mobile homes not come with a filter?

Thanks!
Norm Frechette

write down the model number and do a GOOGLE search

there should be something on the net as in photos or the owners manual

i have this behind the furnace door

ponch37300

When I first moved in with my girlfriend who owned the mobile home I took over all the maintenance jobs. One day I decided to check the furnace filter and couldn't find one! I couldn't believe they didn't have filters so did some googling and found the filter is on the door and someone had removed ours and never replaced it. Home depot sells the "mesh" like filter that you cut to size to fit your door.
Greg

Often the filter mesh is in the door for the furnace area.

Let's move this to the heating section.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mobile68

I have that "filter" as well, and I use that term uselessly, as you can practically see through it. Most dust will get right through. The only airborne particles that it will catch is pet hair and carpet fibers. Given that I have no pets or carpet, I question if I should even have it at all.
DaleM

Go to a big box store and get a couple 16x20x1 filters. Cut about 3/8" off one side of the filters along the 16" dimension side. They will fit into the door better. Usually there is a wire that holds the filters in place, if not still ther bend up a hanger to hold them in. I usually use two filters regardless of the furnace model to cover all louvers in the furnace front door.
Mobile68

Unlike typical furnace filters, you can practically see through the mesh type. So I assume that the mesh filters will have much better air flow, but allow a lot more through.

In other words, would the higher air restriction of a typical furnace filter be a concern?
DaleM

No I have used pleated filters with no apparent loss of furnace efficiency. I would say as long as it is only 1" thick you will be okay. Have one customer that uses the 1' thick $15 allergen filters and he says it's no problem. Those seem to catch the smallest of particulate matter.
Mobile68

Ok. Thanks Dale.
jpingram5

I found a 20 x 30 x 1 pleated filter fits inside the door perfect for most of the newer nordyne furnaces.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80