Unwanted double doors for master bathroom

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I'm really not sure why a bathroom in a mobile home needs double doors. Have any of you guys removed the double doors and put in something else? What about the weird gap at the top? I have one word for this style....ugly. I need some makeover ideas.

Thanks!
door.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Norm Frechette

i too have double doors in my master bathroom but not the open wall above the doors. for me it is not a major concern. i too dont know why the manufacturer put them in. but i dont worry about replacing them to a single door. too much destruction and new construction.

i just close them at night as the inconsiderate neighboor behind me likes to keep her porch light on and it illuminates my bedroom through my bathroom window. i like sleeping in darkness not twilight :)
JeffInFL

I think maybe it's because the bathroom is small and a single door would be too big if it swung into the bathroom? I had a single door in the master bath, and it would hit the toilet when opened. A few quick ideas would be to replace the door with a curtain, or maybe an accordion style door. I'm remodeling the master bath and bedroom, and will replace the big single door with a pocket door. The downside is that I have to rebuild the existing 2x3 wall with 2x4's so the pocket door kit will fit.
JD
Site Admin

You could close in the entire door area with wall framing and put in a single door. Then you have to figure out how to finish the wall on both sides. I see you have printed wallboard, so probably skim coat and paint. You could also contact the manufacturer. Depending on how old the home is, they may still have matching replacement panels available.

That gap at the top probably helps dispense of shower moisture, so be sure to have a good bathroom fan in there.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

They were designed to create a "Luxurious open design" type layout

A single piece of quality paneling at the top will seal off the top of the wall and transform the wall into a shelf unit with a rail.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."