Plastic corner beads work for inside corners?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I have removed the battens inside my mobile home and now I'm about to add the plastic corner beads. Is there any reason why I couldn't use these for inside corners too? Some of the inside corders have a huge gap between the two pieces of drywall, and so I thought these might work good to help hold the drywall mud.

Thoughts?
corners.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponch37300

It most likely won't work. The trim you picture made for outside corners has a little bump out at the corner, this is to help feather outside corners. This will probably not let the corner sit flat and won't make as nice of a corner.

How big of gaps are you talking about? Just the 1/2" or less that is there where the two walls meet and the factory covers with trim since they don't know what a tape measurer is? If so I would just fill with some "hot mud". This is powder mud that you mix, not the premix stuff. It comes in different times. I usually get some quicker times like 45 minutes and mix it up and pre fill those gaps. Then when dry tape the corners like normal. This lets you press the mud and tape without pushing into the gap.
Greg

For inside corners you might be able to use the mesh type joint tape. Buy a corner trowel it makes corner work a lot easier once you get the hang of using it.

Personally I never liked the plastic outside corner guards, they just aren't stiff enough.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

If the gap is less then a 1/2" get some drywall compound that you mix up with water. It is made by Dura-Bond. Comes in a green and brown bag. You just want to mix up enough that you can use what you mixed up in less then the time specified on the bag because it sets up pretty quick and it is a lot harder then regular joint compound. Put it in the space and flatten it out even with the wall then after it has hardened then put drywall tape and regular joint compound on it.

Ron
KLBoldon

I second the ideas from Greg. Those are corner trowels are slick, and a cheap plastic one will do the first job great. Make sure to use a straight metal 6-8" to feather the second coat, and a 10-12" to feather the third coat.

I tried to use the metal inside corners w/tape sides, just didnt work as easy as the tape alone.

My corners also had big gaps. i simply filled them with mud. Green lid type. its a bit thicker than the blue lid lightweight and has more stick for the first coat. the blue lid is used for the second and third coats as it sands easier.
HouseMedic

I also agree with all about the inside corner trowel. They work wonders. Also again I use the quicker setting compound that you mix for the first coat on all gaps and outside corner beards. I just finished up a 12 sheet job this afternoon. One coat of quick set and one wider coat of the lightweight blue lid stuff. Just make sure if you use the quick set stuff to keep it lower then the finish coat, The quick set stuff is much harder and it does not sand very good.

Ron
AbbottsManor

I have used the paper/metal inside and outside corners with success. They are much sturdier than the metal backed paper that comes in a roll that you fold to make inside corners and need much less compound to finish that the plastic ones with that huge corner bead. I just bought some of the outside corners today at Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_18187-325-B1XW+ ... facetInfo=

The method I used was to prepare the wall (clean with TSP, painted with primer) then use adhesive spray on the back side of the corner and apply right away. Gently smooth out any wrinkles and allow plenty of time to bond to the wall. A corner drywall trowel is a must!

Chris