Why is my roof so lumpy?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

If you look closely, my metal roof is wavy/lumpy. If this was a factory job, which I think it is, why does it do this? Surely there is some sort of sub-roof below the metal, plywood perhaps?

Thoughts?
IMG_1683.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

I doubt that there is nothing but insulation under the roof. metal roofs are always "loose" they need room to expand & contract, plus it would be very hard to put it on tight ( try putting aluminum foil over a dish perfect.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
nestsman

Is it even safe to stand on then? I plan on getting up there this week to paint it with Henry's white roof sealant.
HouseMedic

When you get on the roof try to stand on the roof trusses.(where the framing is) This might have been the reason it looks like it does. Someone might have went up there to coat the roof and just walked everywhere. It is pretty normal though.

Ron
Steve-WA

I watched one of those silly reality shows where the whole premise 2 these two burly guys demolish stuff with no tools. Once the target was a mh; one guy was on the metal roof - like 260lbs - jumping up & down, and never did damage it. Bent, yes, but at worst maybe broke a truss. They had to knock walls in to get the roof down.

So I wouldn't worry.