The best way to operate on an underbelly

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I tore out a shower recently and will soon use a PEX wrench to cap the water lines. Then I will also cap the drain pipe. I'm wondering what is the best way to fix the hole in the fabric that covers the belly of the home.

Thanks!
underBelly.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

From the looks of the picture, there is not much of the belly material left. Mark has belly supplies available in the site's store.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

In the picture, we can't see how big the "hole" is, but generally speaking, with the steel beam where it is, I would first use a clean rag or whisk broom and clean all dust off of the beam, then use spray adhesive on the beam, 6"-8" spread across the entire section that needs underbelly. Spray the underbelly material to match. You want full coverage with the spray, but don't overload any area with too much spray. Let the adhesive dry to where it is tacky and no adhesive comes off on your finger when you touch it. Press the underbelly against the beam, and make that part real neat. You will get a better bond. Pull the loose side of underbelly into place. if the other end of the repair area ends in original factory underbelly, spray a 12" spread to attach those surfaces together. A large spray area will allow the repair to last a long time. Then I would also run a 1x2 furring strip across the joists near that metal beam, tight up against the beam if possible. This will help keep the underbelly glued to the beam by taking off weight and reducing movement. i would use Sta-put adhesive or 3M 90 Heavy Duty adhesive. Do not use 3M 77 adhesive. That is more of a hobby grade.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
nestsman

JD, is this the particular product that you are recommending? It has a number of 08090.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08090-Yellow-S ... 904&sr=8-1

Thanks!