I fixed me electrical problem...so happy now.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JeffInFL

Is back stabbing outlets bad? When I changed mine, there were a few that were done that way. When I installed the new ones, I back stabbed them the same way. It was mainly when outlets were daisy chained together.
SoFlorida

JeffInFL wrote:Is back stabbing outlets bad? When I changed mine, there were a few that were done that way. When I installed the new ones, I back stabbed them the same way. It was mainly when outlets were daisy chained together.
The general consensus is yes, here's a link to some replies. http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=606645
JD
Site Admin

I will use the general consensus opinion as well. Through the many years, I have yet to hear of a pro sparky say different. I took it to heart many years ago and have never used the stab holes, so I have no personal experience to say otherwise. I do like molding the wire to close into the provided tabs when screwing them down. The screw can be tightened remarkably tight on these small outlets and switches.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
1987Commodore

I have the standard mobile home outlets inside, and have (yet) no problems; --BUT-- when my interior GFI outlets quit, I found a back stabbed wire pulled out of the standard outlet outside. I replaced the outlet and used the screws for the new connection.
countrydan

Some of the info is not correct IMO.

I would never mismatch amp ratings, wire sizes, etc.

Safety is a priority and always call a licensed electrician when in doubt.. This thread should be locked.
ponch37300

JeffInFL wrote:Is back stabbing outlets bad? When I changed mine, there were a few that were done that way. When I installed the new ones, I back stabbed them the same way. It was mainly when outlets were daisy chained together.
I have seen a lot of wires that have partially or fully come out of the back stab slots. Not sure exactly how they do but it's just a small piece of metal on an angle holding them in and they manage to work their way out. I don't like back stabbing wires. Outlets have two screws for hot and two for neutral so if there is two wires they go on the screws. If there is three wires I splice the wires and run pigtails to the outlet. The screws give a good solid mechanical connection that I've never seen come loose. Also make sure you wrap the wire correctly. You want to use the little hole in the wire stripper to make a hook on the wire. Then wrap the hook so the wire it's going clockwise around the screw so when you tighten it the screw "pulls" it tighter.

Countrydan, which info are you saying is incorrect?
countrydan

I am saying that sending a possible 20 amps through a rated 15 amp outlet is a safety hazard. First and foremost.

Additionally, I have seen plenty wire nut connections come loose cause the person making the connection doesn't know how to check it.

Electricity is not something to hope to get right. Hire a licensed electrician.
ponch37300

countrydan wrote:I am saying that sending a possible 20 amps through a rated 15 amp outlet is a safety hazard. First and foremost.

Additionally, I have seen plenty wire nut connections come loose cause the person making the connection doesn't know how to check it.

Electricity is not something to hope to get right. Hire a licensed electrician.
Agreed 100%