Compatability of Timer Wall Switch with 100w Halogen Bulbs

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Tom DeBono

I have several outside lights thate use 100w Halogen GY6.35 base pins bulbs. I just installed a Leviton Timer Switch with the presets 10-20-30-60 min. Noticed after install, it states for "Incandescent Bulbs only ", they all seem to be working ok and not any hotter than usuall. I have read of issues with bathroom fans etc, but not sure about useing this switch with the Halogen Bulbs? Are there safety issures here? Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks....
Tom DeBono

Well, I've been running the lights on and off using the timer for a couple of days with no issues, staying within the wattage guidlines helps... Thanks, Tom....
ponch37300

I haven't ever heard of any problems using timers or dimmers or other devices like these with halogen lights. Most of the issues are with fluorescent lights and these type of devices. So maybe they just label it "incandescent bulbs only" just for ease. I would send an email off to the manufacturer just to see what they have to say about using them with halogens.
JeffInFL

found this on the internets regarding dimmers and halogen bulbs:
The halogen lamp is designed to prevent the tungsten from depositing on the inside of the bulb wall and darkening it. Because the halogen action stops working when the bulb wall temperature falls below 260 degrees Centigrade, which may happen when the dimmer lowers the voltage, the halogen lamp blackens and its life is not prolonged as much as an incandescent lamp on a dimmer. Eventually a severely dimmed halogen lamp can become blackened and fail.
The wall blackening can be partially reversed if the halogen lamp is operated at full power, non-dimmed, periodically to allow the halogen cycle to remove some of the deposited tungsten.
So technically it will work, but it's possible the halogen bulbs will burn out quicker than normal incandescent bulbs.
ponch37300

JeffInFL wrote:found this on the internets regarding dimmers and halogen bulbs:
The halogen lamp is designed to prevent the tungsten from depositing on the inside of the bulb wall and darkening it. Because the halogen action stops working when the bulb wall temperature falls below 260 degrees Centigrade, which may happen when the dimmer lowers the voltage, the halogen lamp blackens and its life is not prolonged as much as an incandescent lamp on a dimmer. Eventually a severely dimmed halogen lamp can become blackened and fail.
The wall blackening can be partially reversed if the halogen lamp is operated at full power, non-dimmed, periodically to allow the halogen cycle to remove some of the deposited tungsten.
So technically it will work, but it's possible the halogen bulbs will burn out quicker than normal incandescent bulbs.
Jeff what you posted is talking about a dimmer lowering the voltage supplied to the bulb. The was asking about timers. A timer doesn't lower the voltage at all, just cuts of voltage.
JeffInFL

Ugh I'm so dumb sometimes. I read the post, but for some reason I was thinking "dimmers" instead of "timers" because I too was curious why they don't recommend halogen bulbs.

Maybe it's because they give off heat and can be a potential fire hazard? You might not want heat-generating lamps coming on by themselves and running when you're not home. Again, this is just speculation.