Emergency heat source?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

In the past I had a ventless propane heater in my mobile home to use as back up heat in case of an emergency, like if the electric goes out. That seems to happen frequently around here. When purchasing our new energy star dw, we signed an agreement saying that we would not install a ventless heater and if we do it would void all warranties. We have had below 0 temps and I get nervous thinking about the possibility of temporarily losing heat. I have not come up with any other ideas other than a kerosene heater but not to thrilled with that. Does any body else have an idea? Thanks.
archive

You could always buy a small gasoline generator like Honda and others make. They are available at Home Depot and other home supply and hardware stores. Depending on the size you get, you could hook up a small electric heater or two and maybe still have enough power left over to run a couple of lights or small appliances. A friend of mine just bought a really small one (about the size of 2 suitcases) to run his TV and lights during power outages. He loves it and never worries about his power going off. They don't use much gasoline at all and are very efficient.
archive

Have you done any research on pellet stoves. We have a generator so we are covered during power outages.

When you use a ventless heater it causes alot of condensation inside the home. Have you inquired about a vented heater.

~Yanita~
archive

I would bet that you could find the same style heater but vented id you did some research. Greg
archive

I know I'll hear flack about this but I have personally been using a kerosene heater for the past several years (and yes, I know the dangers involved). Once you fan out the initial smell from lighting they burn for hours on a gallon tank (about $2.49 in these parts).Keeps most of my 14x70 warm and cozy. My best buddy has been using them for about ten years in his stick-built.I know this has saved me alot on my heating bill and I believe that this is also a good back-up heat source. I would never leave one on all night unattended though so I also believe the best bet if your electric is prone to go out would be a generator. In this part of Maryland where I live there are currently 57000 households without electric due to a bad ice storm. I have tropical fish and hate to think about the tank heaters going out. Currently 10* outside with wind chill probally -10.
brucetrout
archive

Hi,

Being one of the moderators for this site, I feel the necessity to warn others about the use of using heaters such as kerosene inside your homes. These heaters are not designed for interior use. You can get carbon monoxide poisoning from these heaters. They cause excess moisture in the home which can cause mold and mildew issues as well. Then there is your personal health...these heaters are known for causing asthma and other allergies.

I understand everyones needs for having to do "what they have to do" during the heating season but I can not let this post past by without comment.

If you use a heater such as this you need to make sure it is sitting on a fire resistant floor covering. Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector with a good battery, keep it in the center of the room, any spills clean up immediately, keep away from curtains etc, and of course watch the kids and pets!

Please be safe!

~Yanita~
archive

Just a thought.

Why not call the electric company or the fire department and ask them what they would recommend in this situation?
archive

Hi Bruce,

Nope, I won't yelp at you for using a kerosene heater for a supplement heating source or an emergency back up source!

If you use it responsibly!!!

We've used a kerosene heater as a back up for years! Sorry, but at my age, I don't do well in bitter cold temps when the power goes out.

Doesn't matter whether you have gas or electric. If the power goes out, you have no heat. Generators are an option, but trying to heat your whole home with those can really irritate your neighbors with the noise!

The newer kerosene heaters are convection heaters, and work a little different than the old ones. We just bought a new one last year. IF you follow manufactures instructions to a tee, and have a carbon monoxide detector installed, this is a viable alternative. Also keep a window cracked at least a 1/2 inch near the heater!

Do NOT run these heaters while you sleep, or are not at home! They do take constant care! But yes, they do work in an emergency situation. But keep in mind that they take a lot of care, and maintenance!

Always.. safety first! Your life depends on it!!!

Maureen 8-)
archive

Amen Maureen!
Responsibility is indeed the key word here. I work in the construction industry and in forty years I would say 80% of injurys I've seen are carelessness on someones part. As you have said these new heaters aren't like the old smelly dangerous ones and the one I have works just fine.
brucetrout
archive

LOL, I guess my neighbors will have to deal with the noise of my generator!

Apparently I have offended some, so be it, but as noted in previous post...fan out the smell of initial start up, and open a window...

Somewhere someone missed where I said "I understand the need of having to do what you have to do". Just wanted to make sure that those who use this type of heat whether it be emergency or supplemental heat knows of the dangers!

Have a wonderful day and stay warm.

~Yanita~
archive

Thanks to all for the help. I do have a generator that I could run a couple of heaters on. Have a little over 1,500 sq ft with an open floor plan so I can choose to heat bedrooms only. Also wondering about thoughts on the vent-less heaters that can be screwed to the wall or is on stands/legs and keeping it in the garage and have a hook up ready to bring in and use ONLY in the case of an emergency. Just like to be prepared. We have had below 0 temps and have to think of the home, kids and pets. Thanks again for the help and opinions.
archive

Hi KLM,

I had one of those ventless heaters and have one now that the previous owner left behind.

Again if used as only an emergency heat source fine...not something I would use regularly. This is my opinion. Again the ventless heaters use up oxygen, emit carbon monoxide, cause excessive moisture in the home. Again, have the window nearest the heater cracked open slightly, and make sure you have a functional carbon monoxide detector. These heaters also cause alot of yellowing on the ceilings, again due to not being vented.

Follow all safety precautions, and in my opinion only use as a emergency source of heat.

Have a great day!

~Yanita~
archive

Hi

We had a hard freeze here Saturday morning and we have freeze warnings for Monday morning.

Lots of convection kerosene heaters are used around here....the interior types of course. They are sold in HD, Lowes, Ace and Walmart. Cost around $125.00. And yes please follow the manufacturers instructions carefully.

More on safety. Seems every year we read about someone in this area using charcoal inside their home...with deadly results.

Harry
archive

Hi,

We have the same here, the use of grills, and the old time kerosene heaters...not far from here a home burnt the other day...kerosene heater got tipped over by the family dog!

As I said I understand everybody's need to do what they have to do... BUT please be safe. Many folks can not afford the newer style heaters and therefore are using the old ones!

~Yanita~
archive

I thought I would offer a few samples of CO poisoning.

I am sent about 50 of these a day so as to track the problem.

Outages lead to carbon monoxide poisonings, fires
Annapolis Capital - Annapolis,MD,USA
Three people who used a charcoal grill indoors to keep warm were hospitalized with severe carbon monoxide poisoning last night as the county continued to ...

Carbon monoxide sends five to hospitals
Waynesboro Record Herald - Waynesboro,PA,USA
CHAMBERSBURG - Carbon monoxide poisoning likely sent five Chambersburg residents to three different hospitals Thursday afternoon. ...

Carbon Monoxide Threat
Central Florida News 13| - Orlando,FL,USA
With temperatures dipping at or below freezing tonight, Central Floridians are firing up the heat, but carbon monoxide can be a problem seeping into homes ...

Carbon monoxide an invisible killer
Brainerd Daily Dispatch - Brainerd,MN,USA
Any combustible fuel furnace or appliance can produce carbon monoxide when the fuel isn't venting right or the burners aren't working efficiently. ...

EmeraldCoast.com - Sandestin,FL,USA
Every year in America, unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning claims more than 500 lives and sends another 15000 people to hospital emergency rooms for ...

No warning of deadly carbon monoxide gas
Times Herald-Record - Middletown,NY,USA
Cornwall — The elderly couple found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday had no detector for the odorless gas that killed them. ...