Anti-freeze hose bib

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I bought an anti-freeze hose bib recently. When I took off the old one, the second one in the photo below, the thought came to me that maybe the one I already had was anti-freeze. I say this because the one I already had was made of plastic, not metal. Is this true? Or should I replace the original with the one I just bought?

Thanks!
faucets.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

The top one is a freezeless, the bottom is just a faucet with reducing coupling & Nipple on it. The freezeless uses a long stem that shuts the water off near the inside end of the faucet.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
nestsman

Ok, so I will use the new one I just bought then. Unless you think I didn't get one long enough. Home Depot had others to choose from, some which were 10 inches or longer. How does one know how deep into the home it should go to be effective in cold winters?

Thanks!
HouseMedic

What makes them freezeless is that the washer that stops the water from coming out is in the back of the pipe. So if you have a 10" one going through 8" block into a basement that is heated then the water is shut off in the heated space. If you are using this on a mobile then it should be back in the insulation in the belly where the cold will not get to it. If it is mounted low and in the opening just behind skirting I don't thing it would work as a freezless.

Also when you install this type of sillcock you want it to face down just a little so the excess water runs out after you turn it off. They usually come with instructions.

This is what I mean about tilting it down.. http://youtu.be/wJcSZV5_CZU
Here is a installation video. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0 ... 12,00.html

Ron
Norm Frechette

nestsman wrote:How does one know how deep into the home it should go to be effective in cold winters?
i replaced my faucet a couple of years ago and used the same length as the one that was broken. shouldnt go wrong using the same length