High humidity in mobile home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

terrifromohio

I am having a very high humidity level in my mother`s old mobile home. Just had laminate flooring installed and it is starting to buckle. Not sure if it was not installed properly or the humidity is causing this.
Humidity level near 90%. I am not aware of any leaks under the trailer. What could be causing this? Just had vinyl skirting installed, should it have been vented? Would this be causing this?
HouseMedic

Even with high humidity the floor should not buckle. I have fixed more then one bad installations of laminate floors installed buy others. If they don't let the flooring acclimate to the room before installation this could happen. Also most of the time it is because you are suppose to leave a 1/4" at least gap around everything for expansion. Around door frames the frames should be undercut so the flooring can move back and forth as it expands. I would get the installer to come back and fix it. Like I said even with high humidity this should not happen if installed correctly.

Ron
countrydan

90% humidity is very high inside a house imo. whats it like outside? raining? the moisture is coming from somewhere. whats the underbelly condition? any moisutre barrier in the crawl?
Greg

Skirting should always be vented, the general rule is 1 sq/ft of vent per 150 sq/ft floor space.

I would get a Dehumidifier and get the level down. You have good conditions for mold & mildew.

I agree that I would question the floor installation first.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."