re paint a bathtub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Yves

DSC01202.JPG
I have a bathtub (either fiberglass or hard rough plastic) that need to be painted. I cannot replace it because it is incased between 3 walls and a floor of ceramic tiles.

any suggestions.

thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

I don't think that I have ever heard of a paint job on a tub holding up. You may want to contact one of the bathroom renovator companies that uses a layover panel for the tub. I have no idea as far as cost, but from what I have seen they do look good.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yves

I cannot do that. I do not want to touch the wall or the floor.
HouseMedic

The only way that I could see you changing the tub is you just remove the first row of tile very carefully and change the tub then replace the tile. I have done this type of job more then once. Just as long as you get someone that knows what they are doing it should be fine. Being that from the picture it looks like a standard black tile if anything did happen I think you could find a replacement that would work.

Ron
Norm Frechette

GOOGLE "bathtub liners"

bathtub liners fit over your existing bathtub

ponch37300

Why does it "need" to be replaced? Is it cracked or you just want to freshen it up?

I have not read about any bath tub "paint" that was magical. It's just a cover up and most of the time the quick fixes aren't that good, the old saying "if it's to good to be true then it probably is" kind of thing.

If the tile was put on right, ie 100% bond, then it will not come off without cracking it.

Personally I would either replace the tub or look into one of those liners. I've never used a liner but they would hold up a lot better then a paint. As long as the liner fits the tub exact so it's supported 100%. I assume they make the liner to fit your tub or form in place.
JeffInFL

Has anyone actually tried to refinish a fiberglass tub? I would think that with good prep work and a few coats of epoxy it might work.

Does that blue tile go around the entire bathroom or just the tub? What if you removed it, cut out the sheetrock, put up new sheetrock, replaced the tub then re-tiled? If it goes all the way around the bathroom that might not be a good idea, though.
Yves

Yes I was told that epoxy would work. The only one I know of is "Tile Doc" by X-I-M., but I do not know where to get it over here (Calgary, Alberta).

And yes the tiles go all around the tub. And the floor is also about 0.5" higher than the tub. That is why I feel that paint is the only solution.
HouseMedic

Do you want to paint it to change the color or is there something that looks bad in it?
They have come a long way with restorers for fiberglass boats and there are also some really good cleaners out there for tubs.
I am not a fan of tub-overs. Sometimes if the installation is not perfect you get water inbetween the two tub layers.

Ron
Yves

The tub is in really good condition. Just need to change the color as we upgraded the toilet and vanity.
HouseMedic

I think it would have been a lot easier to use the same color toilet and vanity. But that is just my opinion.

Ron
RickW

Yves,

I am getting my garden tub painted on the 21st with epoxy.I will post pics. I live in Northwestern PA. A private contractor is doing it.