Various types of rain gutters

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I'm thinking of hiring a company to come out and put rain gutters up that are seamless. What do most of you install, seamless or the vinyl segments that snap together?

Thanks!
Norm Frechette

i currently do not have gutters on my home but if it were me adding rain gutters to my mobile home, i would get a professional contractor to come out and put up the seamless type gutters and be done with it once and for all. but thats just me. i want it done right the first time.
Greg

I have aluminum section type. Not real happy with them, but the do work. Now that the move is over and things are starting to settle down I will most likely change things around, just not sure to what yet.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

I don't have gutters either and it really doesn't seem to be a problem, we have a decent grade and landscaping around most of the trailer. Seamless gutters sure are nice, I know many that have them on their homes and they look nice and no leaks. But they are pretty much a hire out job. Gutter sections don't look as "clean" installed and they tend to leak once in a while but they are a DIY job. If you're going to hire it out go seamless, if you're doing it yourself go sections.
countrydan

i had seamless installed with the expanded metal leaf guard on top. looks and works great.
JD
Site Admin

I had seamless gutters put on my mom's home. Really nice and much better than gutter sections. I generally refuse to use vinyl gutters when I install them in my business. They tend to warp, bulge and look pretty crappy after a while. Aluminum gutters hold their shape as long as you keep the ladders off of them. Put ladders on the gable ends and not the eaves.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Lorne

And what ever you do DO NOT have a handyman service install gutters.
Our vinyl gutters looked great but turned out terrible due to poor roof edge design.

Always use a dedicated service, ie plumbing, roofing etc.
What you may save today will cost you much more later.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.