Removing exterior wood pressed panels

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I have two panels that I think will ultimately need to be replaced due to water damage. They are in the middle of the home, exterior wall. What is the best way to remove these? Don't the panels use some sore of tongue and groove? If so, I wonder if i will have problems putting the new ones in place, without having to remove all the panels for the whole exterior wall.

Thoughts?
Greg

Some use T&G joints, some use a ship lap. You may have problems matching what you have now, so I would plan on doing a larger section than just 2 panels.

The easiest way to remove the panels would be to use a circular saw. Set the blade so it just goes through the panel, and cut it in half.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I would use a cat's paw nail puller and flat bar. All to often I find wiring just laying up on the back side of the siding. When using a saw for demo, I set it for 1/16th less than the panel thickness and bust it out by hand. Super easy.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
nestsman

Greg wrote:You may have problems matching what you have now, so I would plan on doing a larger section than just 2 panels.
You mean problems matching the simulated wood grain on the pressed wood panels?
Greg

That's what I was thinking, as well as the "spacing" of the strips on the panel.

I would make sure that you can get more of what you buy later, just in case.

Greg
nestsman

Here is some of the panel damage. The thought came to me last night that maybe I can just use some patching compound instead of removing the panels and putting new ones up. Thoughts on this?
IMG_1578.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

You may be able to use auto body filler. If you are REAL good you might be able to make an imprint of the grain pattern with plaster or clay and make a grain in the filler before it hardens.

Greg
HouseMedic

Looks like someone used a hammer to pull off the trim board and the back of the hammer went through the siding.
The spacing of the stripes should be 8" on center just like regular T-111. I would do like JD said and find the nails and pull them out to take off the panels. It won't matter if you damage some of the panel because you are changing it anyway. Regular T-111 should fit if the old panels are 4 x 8 sheets. Just check to see if it is 3/8" or 1/2" in thickness because T-111 comes in both thicknesses. The panels should be ship-lapped so one side at the seam will be on top and the other side will be underneath. Install the new panels with 8 penny nails then prime and paint.

Ron
nestsman

Ron, you recommend nails instead of screws?
HouseMedic

If the rest of the house has nails I would just go with 8 penny nails. That way it looks the same. Make sure when you nail it to use galvanized exterior nails (they hold better)and hit the wall studs. If the groves are on 8" centers then every other grove should line up with the 16" centers of the wall studs if they were put on right the first time.

Ron
nestsman

What about this special MDF screw? This may be a good thing to fasten exterior trim in places that do not have a stud behind them.
mdf-screw_thumb.jpg
I found it on this website:

http://www.spax.us/en/mdf-hardwood-screws.html

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponch37300

Spax makes some really nice fasteners for special applications. I've used them for many things, usually pretty expensive though. For trim I usually just use a 15ga finish nail gun. Goes fast and just have a little hole to fill. You should be able to hit the studs every 16" or the bottom plate so there really shouldn't be too many times you won't have something solid to nail or screw to.