Mending a dented AC vent

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nestsman

I took off each of the vent covers and some of ducts have damage. What is the best way to nail/staple these back into place? Because the opening is so small and narrow, I'm guessing there is a better tool than a standard hammer?

Thanks!
duct.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD
Site Admin

I just pull them up level with the floor and fasten them with small construction staples. They sell electric construction staplers now, so you wouldn't need a compressor. If there is a lot of resistance in trying to pull it up, you should go under and see if there is a problem with the ducting and then maybe shove it up and brace it with nylon strapping.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Norm Frechette

pull the duct work up and nail in the long direction with your hammer or a powered screwdriver

https://www.google.com/search?q=staple+ ... 01&bih=638
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nestsman

Thank you for the link for the staple guns, but there are tons on this webpage. Is there a particular kind that you recommend that would staple through sheet metal?
JD
Site Admin

I use a (1/4") narrow crown, 18ga bostitch stapler. Goes up to about 1 1/2" length staples or so.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
ponch37300

I will second the stapler and not go with screws. Screwing into press board like that will split it really easy, even predrilling a hole it can still split. Do you have an air compressor? Is this most likely going to be a seldom used tool? If so I would just go to harbor freight if you have one and pick up a narrow crown stapler like JD recommended. You can google harbor freight coupon and find a 20% off coupon online to print out. Here's a nailer/stapler combo for 18.00 bucks and you can get 20% off that. Should work fine for occasional use. If you don't have a HF store then I think the box stores like home depot and lowes sells some cheaper staplers also. If you think you will use it more then look into a nicer one. If you don't have a compressor then you can look into an electric stapler. I've never used one before but they should work fine for something like this. I know carpet guys use nice electric staplers but they are pretty expensive.
Jennifer

For what it's worth-

When we moved into our home 2 years ago we found quickly that all of our floor vents were plastic. It took a week and most of them were broken- bathroom ones busted the first day! They are both placed directly in front of the sink in the only place to stand so go figure who thought they were the best choice. When we pulled them up to replace, we found gross vents that didn't seem to fit tightly like yours. We wound up replacing the collar completely. It was pretty cheap, 3 or 4 bucks each and easy to install. They have a snug fit and I understand it can reduce air leaks to replace them? I felt a lot better with the new collars and vent covers on anyway. They look sharp and clean!
nestsman

You replaced the collar completely? What exactly does the collar refer to?

Thanks.
Jennifer

Ok I might have posted a little too quickly- so if I did, forgive me? :)

I call it a collar cause that's what it said at the mobile home place but I think they call it a starter too. It's the piece that comes up from main duct and is attached to the opening in the floor like your pic. Unless of course, that isn't what the pic is of at all- lol.

Ours were disgusting, so were the vents, toys and junk in them. My brother in law was in from overseas and helped me change all of them and clean the duct out in a day. The collar attaches to the duct with teeth then screws and possibly tape? Anyway, ours were gross and loose and now they fit snugly which stops leaks and don't make you sick to peer into if you happen to! This link shows exactly what we purchased.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... 4469,d.aWM