Dryer recommendations please

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

readysetgo

Well my 20 year old dryer finally went . It's been a good one with I think only one service call. I need advice on getting a new one. Want a 7 cu ft. one for heavy duty comforters etc. Any advice. I don't want to spend over 600.00 for it. Energy efficient also. I've researced some from Sears, Lowes, Appliance direct. Seems like they're similar except for the bells and whistles.
Thank You
Yanita

Hi,

Could be wrong but from what I understand there really is no energy efficient electric dryer.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Maureen

Hi RSG,

I have to agree with Yanita. I don't know of a energy efficient electric dryer. But then, I refuse to look into those huge new washer and dryers out now. I have gas hook ups anyway. Even if I had electric, I wouldn't go that route, personally!

I'm done doing those huge loads of laundry! I still use a close line to dry a lot of our clothes. When it comes time to clean comforters and large items, they go to the laundry/dry cleaners. I can't be bothered.

The boys are in charge of their clothes and towels. If they aren't washed and fresh... oh well! Most of Warren's clothes go to the dry cleaners. He wears suits to work. My clothes, jeans and tee shirts are easily done in a good old fashioned washer and dryer. I send my good clothes to the cleaners. I still love my clothes off the clothes line. Sheets and towels smell wonderful! Okay, I know.... I'm just plain old LOL!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Yanita

Hi Wes,

She was asking about dryers, could you post a list on them if available. :D

Thanks, Yanita
wes

oops. sure did think that was dryers. i'll have to look.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Maureen,

Slightly off-topic of this off-topic post (sorry readysetgo, no recommendations), we were all ready to go buy a premium set of front loaders a while back. Our washer was acting up and would not spin without going out of balance. But just a day before we were going to go bite the bullet, a good customer of ours called because of their front loaders vibrating the whole mobile home. We installed two 8 foot 4x4s on adjustable steel piers which took care of the problem. The next customer I saw that day was having work done on her grandmother's mobile. I knew she lived in an upscaled neighborhood in a very nice house. I asked her if she had had any experience with front loaders. Man, was that a sore subject for her. She immediately told me that she had the very first pair available (Neptune I think) and then replaced them with some LG's a couple of years later. She replaced those with high quality standard top loaders a couple of years after that. She said that they vibrate real bad, that because of the way they drain, there was always a musty smell in the washer of both models. She said that they spin so strong that all of the clothes come out very wrinkled and need ironing. She also told me to tilt my top loader forward a couple of times and that might fix the out-of-balance problem, which it did. Thank you Carrie. I know nothing about appliances.

Anyways, I went on an internet research campaign about front loaders and found that these were common complaints about them. We have now decided not to get front loaders. Since Carrie helped me fix the washer, we are probably good for a long time yet.

Sorry for the rambling.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
wes

well poop...i can't find any comparison for dryers. so i'll say that our top of the line kenmore has been excellent. it handles all clothes well and really saves ironing.

however not the same fortune with our top of the line kenmore washer. we bought washer and dryer the same day and the washer died last year after 5 years. cost of repair was almost as much as new so i bought a maytag. way better than the kenmore ever was.
Yanita

Hi,

Well I was hoping for a list of dryers, but I think it goes back to what I was saying, they all have about the same heating element.

JD, those high end top loaders. I have a friend that bought some a few months ago...they are real upset after spending about 2000.00 on them. The washer has been relocated to the garage because of the vibration. The steamer in the washer unit has caused problems as well.

I still think that the more bells and whistles the more troubles you will have. Personally I have an inexpensive set that I got from Lowe's. The washer washes and the dryer dries, needs to do nothing more than that.

~Yanita~

Last Sept. we bought the Kenmore HE2 front loading washer and dryer set. So far they have been great! Replaced 12 year old HotPoint set. The dryer puts out almost double the air volume than the old unit. Washer is very quiet, less vibration, cleans better and uses less soap. Must use HE labeled deterent. The set we got is made by Whrilpool. A friend at work had the Maytag Neptune set and had nothing but trouble with the washer. Leaked all the time.
Bill W.

I work in parts sales of large and small appliances and from what I've seen, all brands have their good and bad points....guess it really all depends on personal preferences and usage. My personal preference is my ol' faithful Kenmore but I know others would definately disagree. I did have to laugh about all the units seeming to be very similar now adays...It's because currently, there's only 3 companies out there making all of them....Whirlpool and Maytag are now one in the same , GE, and then Frigidaire. If you see another name, it will fall under one of those 3. Yanita is right about different brands useing the exact same parts, HOWEVER, that same part can cost DOUBLE depending on what name is on the package ( maybe something to consider ). Also, I know that the bells and whistles on any large appliance are very tempting, but the more bells and whistles also means more parts to fail and repair....and trust me, THOSE are the parts that are usually expensive.....My suggestion is don't go with the cheapest one you can find and look for one that has the longest warantee in your price range.
Sylvia

We're gradually switching over to all Bosch appliances. I'm fairly certain they're not part of the big three listed above. We started with a dishwasher and went from there. They tend to be more energy efficient and they're quieter.
Harry

Hi

We converted to 100% electric and very happy with that decision.

2 yrs ago we bought a Kenmore Elite 7.5 cu electric from Sears. The wife absolutely loves it.

We shopped Neptune but got scared when we "goggled" for problems and saw lots of em.

Harry

PS: my wife refuses to use a clothes line...or even discuss it.
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
troyster

I bought a Roper washer & dryer for my wife Cheryl 5 years ago and not 1 problem in that time. These were the cheapest set of washer & dryers in town but when I seen a consumer report on washer & dryers I found out they are one of the most reliable. very basic machines that are built by Whirlpool.
Yanita

Hey Troyster

Those Ropers you are talking about, LOL, that's what we bought when we bought this place. Our thoughts were just get something to last a few years or so and then look into something different.

They do what I need wash big, small or medium loads. They dryer dries excellent in a short time, love the feature that the drum will turn a few times after the dryer has completed it cycle, prevents wrinkles. Great machines for less than $500 for the pair. Yup, never paid any attention to the fact they are made by Whirlpool.

Have a great night!

~Yanita~