Best Mobile Home Skirting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

terrifromohio

I am in the process of moving into my deceased mother`s mobile. Needless to say there are many problems, rotten floors, mold, the front door framing stays wet and I can`t find out why?
And the skirting is falling apart. It is some kind of wood that was installed way back when, it has rotted and literally will fall apart in your hands.
I would like opinions on what would be the best skirting to install. I know vinyl can get pretty ate up with a weedwhacker and does not seem to keep the warmth under the trailer in the winter. I am in Ohio so need something durable.
ponch37300

Here's a good article on skirting, http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article6.html.
terrifromohio

Has anyone here used R- Cotec or Rapid Wall skirting? Whichever I go with I will have to have it installed which is going to cost a fortune. So, I need something that is fairly easy to install and maintain,
Greg

Dollar for dollar I feel metal is the best way to go. It may cost a little more up front, but well worth it. you can hammer it all day with a weed eater and only get a headache. Plus if a critter eats through it, do you really want to mess with it?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I have never installed R-codec or Rapid Wall before, but I have samples of both products and looked into the installation of both. I have not sold these products because of the high costs. Also, I am not in a cold climate area, so insulation is not a big deal here.

Personally, I like the vinyl skirting the best. It is truly designed for your mobile home. Which ever skirting you pick, it should be able to "float" with in the trim. Any skirting that attaches to the home at the top of the skirt panels and is held up by the ground, can give you problems. On this type of skirting, the trench filled with pea gravel method is best. It is important that the skirting is able to withstand some ground movement or home settling.

That being said, many customers still want T1-11 siding type skirting which requires actual framing from the ground to the home. I always advise against it, but will install it that way if the customer wants. But again, in our warm weather climate, we measure our ground movement in years, not seasons.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
terrifromohio

JD,

Thanks for your reply. I called a company today and they said they only install vinyl skirting. I went out and looked out some of my neighbors who have the vinyl, they have their grass mowed by someone else and all of them have holes in the skirting in the bottom from extreme weedwhacking. I do not mow my own grass either and the lawn company is quite hard on the property, they have dented my air conditioner.
My neighbor said something about installing some type of R tec which is something I have never heard of, I think it is some type of board you buy at Lowes?
Of course I would have to pay him to do it. Not sure what to do. I am going to let the company come out and give me an estimate for the vinyl but it scares me due to the cold here and that it does not seem very durable.
Metal is not an option as I can not find anyone to install it.
JD
Site Admin

Seems strange that no one would install metal for skirting. It is just another building material worked with common tools. Also, your concerns about damage from weedeaters and rocks thrown from mowers is quite valid. There is an add-on product that you install in the ground channel that protects the bottom 4" from weedeaters. It works very well. But in cold weather, a rock thrown hard could make a hole.

There is a significant difference in product qualities. Vinyl skirting made of virgin vinyl, such as T-Loc, are much more durable than skirting made from recycled vinyl products such as Lifestyles. You will have to ask your supplier about the products he offers. When T-loc was available for me locally, I could bend, twist and try to tear it, to no avail. The stuff offered now can be bent and split in cold weather.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
terrifromohio

I just talked to the lady at the parts store and the skirting that they install is Premium Plus made by Stylecrest. She said also as JD said they can take the top rail and use on the bottom to guard against weedeater problems.
If anybody know anyhting about this skirting I would appreciate input on it. My neighbor is pressing me to install some kind of wood skirting that I would have to pay him to install, I think its something you buy from Lowes or Home Depot. They also (the neighbor) know nothing about taping up the underbelly insulation that is open or hanging.
If I find out that the Premium Plus is a good skirting I think I am going to let the proffesionals do it as they will repair the underbelly insulation as well.
So any thought on the Premium Plus would be appreciated.